Are coilovers very hard??

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by daveukm, Nov 25, 2003.

1. daveukm New Member

I have a mk2 16v which I ran for a while standard - very comfy but looks c**p.
    So I got some Koni adjustable shocks with 30mm drop springs. Still nice ride but not low enough.
    I took the 30mm drop springs off and got some Weitec 60mm drop ones. The car looks quality!! But driving around town is a nightmare!!

So I'm thinking of getting coilovers. Was looking at the FK Highsport ones. Says 30% fixed damping rate. Are coilovers softer as a rule than simply dropped springs and dampers??

Apologies as I'm sure this has been covered loads in the past - but desperate to save my teeth!!
    Edited by: daveukm

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

its the springs that are stiffer on normal lowering springs, because they have to get stiffer when they get shorter, meaning your ride gets worse.

coilovers should improve upon that I would have said, but it depends on the coilovers! you get what you pay for with suspension. My FK konigsports are pretty damn firm it has to be said.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I wouldn`t call my Koni`s soft either! If you want comfort stick to stock, if you are prepared to sacrifice a bit and you want to run low coilovers are the only real option, they`ll deal with the bumps better than normal setup on a 60 drop.

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

if you get damping adjustable coilovers then it all depends how low you want to go.
    i wouldn't personally bother with fixed rate coilovers if you're after comfort it just isn't goin to happen!

also if you are goin to run the car quite low you can't have the ride too soft/comfortable else you'll be forever hearing your tyres hitting your arches!!!

as Keithmac says it will be better than a conventional spring damper setup but then it's still not goin to be as good as a standard car!

5. barny Forum Member

mine are <sniggers>

6. Admin Guest

Get a raceland suspension kit, they are quite soft

7. monza 16v Forum Member

Hmm, i got a Raceland -60mm kit for my mk1 a year or two ago, i was a bit disappointed to be honest mate, it didn't really sit that much lower. It handled a bit better though. I've a got a -60mm spax damping rate adjustable kit on my mk2 now. Very firm but handles really nice.
    Edited by: monza 16v