Audi a3 2007 1.9 tdi herd to start

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by simo gti, Oct 13, 2013.

1. simo gti

simo gti Forum Member

Hi can anyone help my car is hard to start its a 1.9 tdi I've done the glow plugs still herd to start help plz [:s]

2. eightieshatches Forum Member

Is the glow plug controller working? Does the car have any engine management lights on?

3. simo gti

simo gti Forum Member

No mate no lights on dash

4. eightieshatches Forum Member

Could still have logged a code could be worth getting it plugged into Vagcom or similar.
    I would check the glow controller is working with a multimeter first.

5. Collie Forum Junkie

does it smoke while trying to start,if not could be diesel running back and thus air in system when first starting]

6. priceygti Forum Member

seen this on a 2ltr PDI enigine in a 2006 A3 and it turned out to be the starter motor

the part is roughly 150-200 depending on the place you buy it

not the easiest job to do as space is tight in those bays but it is possible with a few scrapped knuckles

7. Dclarke Forum Member

Battery? start of the cold weather is seeing lots of cars with struggling start ups on cold mornings.

8. strimmer Forum Member

I had difficult/not able to start with mine recently. Got a jump start to get running. While applying 3000rpm get a mate to put a voltmeter on the battery. If it won't read 13-14 volts the battery isn't getting recharged, your alternators gone.

I was able to pick up a second hand on eBay for 40! (Check part nos carefully) and local garage electrician fitted it for 60. He took a tiny bit of persuasion simply that he wouldn't be liable if my second hand part didn't work and/or didn't solve it.

Of course if the voltmeter shows a good voltage the battery is likely had it.

Just noticing the advice given might be too late to be of help to the op. I'll leave it here, you never know someone else might find it in their hour of need.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  9. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Dependant on the model the injectors will not introduce fuel until the cranking speed reaches a set speed, more common startermotor fault is cold start perfect but you have to turn it over for a while before it'll start from hot

10. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

Pump relay ?

11. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I wish someone would edit the title to read 'hard' not 'herd' it's bugging the **** out of me!