Audi a4 2ltr fsi

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by MK1G20VT, Sep 14, 2011.

1. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Got an Audi A4 avant 2ltr fsi and the engine seems pretty noisy when it has warmed up. Not rattley like a cam, small end etc. It has been into Audi a few times to be serviced and they told us that is a common things with these engines and they do sound noisy.

I cant belive Audi would make an engine that sounds like that. Has anyone else experienced this with these engines?

2. richwig83 Forum Member

The FSI engines do tend to have a slight 'diesel rattle' to them on idle.

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Turbo or non?

4. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Direct Injection & High Compression :thumbup:

fsi is NON Turbo

5. MK1G20VT Forum Member

No sorry it is the turbo model. 200bhp, s line. It does sound like a diesel rattle!

6. richwig83 Forum Member

Does it make the same noise on idle? Its shouldn't sound like a diesel when you are revving it.

Every 2.0FSI to 2.0TFSI engine i have heard has sounded "duff" on idle, its just a characteristic of the engine.

7. MK1G20VT Forum Member

I wouldn't say the noise goes away completely when you rev it but it is more noticable on idle. Even people that don't really know about cars have commented on how it sounds.

8. solaris

solaris Forum Member

These engines do tick as someone stated before it's to do with the high pressure fuel system. at high miles the cam follwer needs to be inspected as these are prone to wear, whats the mileage?

9. MK1jettaGTi

MK1jettaGTi Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

I have a fair bit of experience with these engines (namely one failing in my wife's AWA engine code FSi A4) and I also have a Touran 2.0 FSi at the moment which does the same.

Worryingly, on the A4, it started making a 'chattering' noise under load but only upto engine speeds of exactly 2100rpm.

When the engine broke down one day, it turned out to the be the FSi manifold flaps (between the plastic inlet manifold and the head). The plastic flaps inside it had melted, broken off and got sucked into the engine, jamming the inlet valves open and smashing the engine to bits.

The Touran is now doing the same and is booked in to be sorted out in two weeks time to get a new FSi body fitted, ......

My advice, get a garage to check that the motor that twists the flaps isn't siezed, this was the cause of the A4 failing, it's an easy-ish job to do if you catch it before it goes bang.

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

:o Gets better and better doesn't it!

Runs off to check the mk5......

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

I have also heard of this problem so must be very common!

12. MelG60 Paid Member Paid Member

Is it the new type FSI 2.0 with timing chain? These engines have a lot of problems with the timing chain, pulleys and tensioners.