Audi Coupe Quattro

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by shaz8389, Apr 9, 2010.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The proper one. From the 80s.

Whose had one? What are they like to own... are they as awesome as they seem.

What the hell would I expect to pay for one? One arm, one leg and first born? Or are they "reasonable."

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Have a look on auto trader - there's one in Gene Hunt Racing Red - 9999

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

That was my worry. Gene Hunt and his awesomeness apparently caused us to all want to Fire up the Quattro.

What's the coupe that came after it like in Quattro form? The 5 pot (think Jolfa has one), anywhere near as good as the original?

My dad nearly got one the first time they were cool but apparently it wasn't "practical."

4. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Check out:

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=161&i=21765

I've been in one and it felt a lot like a Rocco inside, about the same size too from memory.

There's no doubt the 'Gene Hunt' effect has meant prices are higher now than ever, and given that the final series has started, you might find they're half the price in 6 months....

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I think it's something that I want to get a few months down the line so not a massive deal, just wondering if they can be found for fair money... 10 grand is crazy.

I might wait for the Gene Hunt effect to pass, they'll still be awesome and average joe might not be so interested in them.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Which one do you mean - the Audi Coupe Quattro was a cheaper non-turbo version they produced iirc. They're probably rare-as now. The UR or WR Quattro Turbo is the one to have.

A mate of mine bought one out of someone's garden for 950 - it had started losing water so the owner parked it up. He did a fair bit of work to it, but sold it for about 6k.

7. Admin Guest

10k for a turbo version has been the price for a number of years

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Really nice, lovely to drive, feels very solid, but so so slow, massively underpowered (mine's the 2.8 V6, which is roughly the same power as the 5 pot)!

Good luck with that, they've always been silly money! The long FWD version can be picked up for very, very little though!

9. Admin Guest

one like this?

[​IMG]

10. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

RE: Audi UR Quattro

You're not going to get original Quattro's for cheap money,if you do there will be a reason for it.(SHED!)

Proper quattro's have always commanded big money long before the 'Ashes to Ashes' affect ever took hold and will continue do so long after this program is consigned to the bin.

Parts can be extremely expensive for them-you're not going to get front wings for them down at the local GSF and the early one's with the 'speaking dash' are nightmare if the electronics have decided to play up.

Buy the Audi Quattro book and have a good read of it before you do anymore it's a great read and tells you all of the pitfalls when buying/running these cars.

11. mark25 Forum Junkie

12. mark25 Forum Junkie

13. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Well everyman to his own,many moons ago I tried to race an UR Quattro in my dad's GTI16V. I'd stay with him for so long and then Whoosh he'd be gone.

It was worth it just to see that car take off!!

14. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

Had both non turbo 10v and the turbo version in both 10v and 20v.

the 5 pot make a lovely noise and is very reliable but if it does go wrong can be very expensive.

the KV engine non turbo 10v is very similar to the GTI engine on Kjet

the turbo cars 10v is better in MB format they fixed all the early WR issues, WR has on off boost and a mahooosove jump in the gearing between 2nd and 3rd.

the 20v's often do 150k + before needing any major maintenance but the ancillaries around the engine arent as reliable as the engine.

the shell are generally not to bad but rust on the back panels, the wings always rust and the UR ones are like hens teeth, altho you can get a fibre glass version but its not that good.

running gear is very reliable, wheel bearings are a major pain in the ass.

expensive too repair but worth it if you have the skills.

[​IMG]

black one is a KV engined CQ
    grey one is a MB engine UR
    and the foreground was a WR that is now a 20v that looks like this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  15. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

To be honest it looks like I'll be getting a Jolfa one, I want AWD in the winter this time round and don't really want to subject the Golf to snow again, it cost me one and I don't want the risk again.

The UR is a bit out of reach it seems, maybe one day...

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Agreed 100% :thumbup: They were very expensive cars to begin with back in the day too!

17. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Why not just learn to drive in the snow, instead? It won't cost you ten grand.

18. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Wanna buy mine? :)

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Price, and fix the cut springs?

I can drive in the snow, I just want an excuse for a winter car and Quattro drive train seems ideal. Then I can give it to my dad to drive while his Beetle gets resprayed. Win, win situation.

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

So you killed a Golf this winter due to the snow, but you are confident you can drive in the snow?
    A set of snow tyres would cost less than the quattro you can't afford.