audi coupes ???

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by kronk10, Dec 17, 2007.

1. kronk10 Forum Member

Are old audi coupes any good i really want 1 after crashing my mk2 golf i have been looking at other cars and you can pick up a nice coupe for about 1500 quid so iam very interested. But i have no no claims bonus am 23 and just crashed so dont know when i will be able to get 1 lol. what engine sizes can you get, generel performance etc etc iam really interested so anyone with any info pls post:)

2. Cabby Dave Forum Member

Theres a nice one at moment on VZI for 800

3. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

how old?

I have had an 86 coupe quattro, which is the non turbo version of the UR, very good reliable engine altho some parts are expensive, it basically a GTI engine which an extra cylinder. the drive train is great and generally trouble free but if it goes wrong . the body is similar to the early GTI' and can be prone to rust. but having said all that, i wish i had kept it now.

The UR is the ultimate old Audi but way out of reach for budget (you could get one for 1500 but expect to spend 4k+ on putting right) and insurance.

My brother used to drive a 2l GT5 which was FWD that was very good to, basically a the same engine again but with a carb.

if your looking at the later shape post 89 - 90 cars then they too are very good if looked after.

4. pipster Forum Member

I presume you mean the 90s coupes?
    They are very nice cars I've always fancied one - and probably the best built cars audi ever made in my opinion.
    I had a 1993 80 2.0e which is pretty much the same thing and it was an awesome car for 600 quid. very smooth and suprisingly quick considering they are a very heavy car.
    post 93 ones with the facelift ("in bonnet" grille) are the nicest IMO.

2litre 8v - not too lively but capable enough
    2 litre 16v - the one to have IMO
    2.3 10v and 20v - thirsty
    2.6 v6 thirstier
    2.8 v6 quattro.............

I think the 2litre models will be cheapest to run

apparently things to watch for are:
    front end bushes etc (very heavy on the front end so these wear quick as do tyres!)
    downpipes and cats are very expensive.

I think thats about it! go and get one!!

5. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

any of the quattros are heavy on tyres!

6. cocobay63 Forum Member

yea i considered one at one point took it spin really was brilliant this was a J Registered one and yea If you get one make sure its the quattro, but they are expensive to put right !, other then that fabulous cars dont see huge amount of them on the road these days,

7. kronk10 Forum Member

Thanks guys i mean the 90's ones so they sound good, really gonna get 1 when i can afford it starting my new job in the new years so gonna be on more wonga:) . Gonna buy a cheap nissan soon for 100 quid :lol: got tax and mot and will be uber cheap to run and insure while i save my money thanks

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

With the 90 onwards ones, what are the models to go for?

Are they cheap to run, or do they drink the fuel??

I'm probably thinking of the 2.0 16v being the one to go for. What's the performance/mpg relative to mk2 golfs/corrados?

9. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

all of the 5 cyl can be thirsty.

10. cocobay63 Forum Member

if its econmy Audi Coupe i think they do a 2.0 E which is an 8v i think not lightning quick but unique on the road not as common as the golf, which is good, but yea they also do a 2L 16V, 2.2 or 2.6 V6 i think quattro quattro will obviuosly be the best but you have to think about how it will be thirsy and will eat tyres

11. maddogboy New Member

i learnt to drive in a 83 coupe 2l gt 5e, there fantastic, i love em, thinking about getting one for me (i learnt in my mums!!) some bit are expencive, but its audi. pre 89, no sunroof..... rocking horse ......lol

12. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

just a simple query, do the 90's coupe's have airbags??

Reason I ask, is I seen a nasty crash yesterday on the motorway at 90mph and I am hedging my bets that the airbag on the Peugeout 307 saved her life.

If it was my mk2 Golf I know for a fact I would have been squished.

So I'm looking for a new car that has modern safety features

13. pipster Forum Member

No they are "pre airbag" but they are built like tanks and have Audis own
    "procon-ten"safety system
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procon-ten

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

My dad has an Audi 80's Sport which is basically the same interior, wheels engine as the Coupe's.

He's got the 2l 8v tall block engine, which for a large car is very torquey. However not sure about the handling, suspension is really high and the roof of the car is low (I'm only 5ft 10 and my head reachest the roof).

I wouldn't get the 8v as you'll be bored with the performance, so 16v or above should do.

But as pipester says they are very front end heavey. The handling, tyres and bushes prove this.

15. mothy Forum Member

I'm getting about 25mpg out of mine at the moment - which tbh is virtually identical to the cost per mile i was getting out of my mk1.. so theyre not that thirsty - mainly because I'm at so muhc lower revs when cruising compared to the 1.8 8v.

by coupes i'm assuming you mean the audi 80 cnvertibles that they ran for years after the 80 was phased out - a bit like the mk1 convertible ran alongside the mk2 golf.

I looked at a few & they are nice solid cars - i wanted one, but if they are low miles & owners then they have held there price so well that it put me off. They are also lacking in standard kit, as they are based on an old model. No abs, air bags etc.. & an old looking dash compared to the newer designed audi's. also a number I saw were still manual roof's on k plates [:s] so look to make sure they are leccy - i dont see the point of paying that much & getting a manual roof, when mk1's were all leccy from 1989..

great cars though. I'm not sure of the performance stats of the 2l 16v or the 2.6 V6 compared to each other. & I dont know how many valves the 2.6 is ? - 12valave ?

16. pipster Forum Member

By coupe's I mean these beauties
    [​IMG]

17. cocobay63 Forum Member

yea yea these are the ones were talking about very nice motora, just be prepared to spend if it goes wrong,

18. leeroy8v Forum Member

i have had a few of these first 1 bein my first car was a b reg 2.2i i loved it to bits it went very well but bein a first car a fezza would have been quick lol
    then i had a c reg 1.8 carb tbh the wasnt a lot init had quite a few tear ups with 2.2i and not much quicker.
    the 2.2i was more juicy def then i had a hreg 2.2i b this petrol was goin up and it was costin me 60 quid a week to do 100 miles to and back from work
    ill be honest it was flat out all the way there and back only probs i ever had was the window mechs falling apart and tyre were not to bad if u put decent tyres on the handle pretty well except they dont like stoppin in the wet cos of the wieght of em
    but u gotta love the noise of those 5 pots
    i also have regular access to a mreg 2.6 v6 auto coupe love drivin it but is well thirsty
    still wouldnt swap it for my mk4 turbo tho

19. mothy Forum Member

tbh after i posted i realised i was talking bs.. those coupe's are nice looking, just a bit old hat now. I was looking at the convertibles of those for a while, but couldnt stomach the exhorbitant cost of a good one for something that old. the hard tops are much better value. i went for the a4 though due to more modern & increased safety features & larger engine - not as good styling though !

as posted before - VERY expensive to fix when it goes wrong !! in mine i just did 320 miles on 60 of fuel 100 each of in town/country/motorway. 20p per mile on fuel is what i averaged in my mk1 golf, so thats decent enough imo

20. dick dasterdley New Member

I've got a '92 2.8 V6 2wd coupe- its an awesome car, very torquey, and can cruise all day at speeds well above the legal limit ;) ...

Not great on juice, being a V6, about 18ish round town, but will do 30mpg on the motorway

Parts can be expensive, but a lot for my car are 2.8 specific (dealer only..[:^(] ) although most parts for the 4 cylinder cars can be bought from the usual suspects for good money

They're not that hard to work on, so theres no reason that a 4 cylinder car should be expensive to run and keep

One thing I will say is that the gearboxes are prone to whining- mine does ( I got 500 off the purchase price because of it) although the master technician at my local dealer told me that they will keep going for ever, even with the whine and I'm inclined to agree- mine is still strong with a smooth shift 2 years on......I think the reason for this is that Audi state that the gearboxes are filled for life (and therefore, their service schedule doesn't include an oil change), but this isn't true- the oil does need changing, and the fill plug is hidden behind the driveshaft heatshield ;)

I say go for it, they're great cars that still look good today, :)