Audi kicks BMW ass!

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Dave, May 6, 2010.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Herewith a road test from 1988 comparing the 2.3 L Audi 90 20v Quattro witht he BMW 325iX:

Basically it states that the Audi is superior in every respact.
    Acceleration - Top Speed - Wind Noise (BM too noisey at even 170 kph) - Fuel Consumption - Handling - Road Holding - Brakes
    And it's only a 2.3 L against a BMW 2.5 L!!!!!! Perhaps they should have stuck the 328 iX in there. Or, as the magazine seems to suggest, an M3 iX, if it existed, would have been a fairer comparison!

But as the magazine states: The X Series BMs were purely a whim of the marketing people, to compete with Audi. Whereas, quattro is in the Audi bloodstream.

For some unbeknown reason they prefer the BMW 'cockpit'. Bit subjective what!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Im sure I remember something about the BMW's also eating front drive train parts due to poor alignment!

3. BIG AL

BIG AL Forum Member

I used to have an Audi 90 20v Quattro. The best car I have ever owned, and I regret selling it. The 7a 5cyl 20v lump is an awesome engine with one of the best sounding exhaust notes ever:p

4. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Hardly.
    The cabins of 80's BMWs really feel driver-focused, even at standstill. Then you drive them, and the layout works.
    Audi interiors weren't quite as purposeful so it's no surprise that under 'shootout' conditions, a journo would favour the BMW cockpit.

I say that having spent an afternoon in the company of one of these...

[​IMG]

5. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I was being a bit ironic, as it is just about the only thing, other than which car you think looks better, that can't be measured.

That is obviously a real one, with the 80 windscreen pillars!

I always found that the driving position in the normal Coup body was wrong for me. The seat was too low, and, even then, I used to struggle to get in and out past the corner of the screen.

I don't like the A4 for the same, low seat, reason. I love the 90, it is a so much more sit up in the cabin car!

From driving my daughter's 328i, where again, I found the seat too low, the only thing I like more than the Audi, is that the gear lever is higher and closer to the wheel. I shall move the lever on my car when I get it properly stripped out and re-built!

Shame they did not make a two door version, that would have been even better for kicking BMW ass!

6. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

Was it ever available in RWD?

7. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member