Audi TT buying tips

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by G60KG, Oct 18, 2011.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

We are thinking of buying a TT as my wife's main car as it seems good value for money as we are only looking to spend around 3k so it will be one of the early ones. Is there anything particular on these cars I should be looking out for? I know there could be issues with oil sludge starving the turbo but apart from that Im not aware of any other issues.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

clutch and dmf.. expensive to fix given its a gay wheel drive.

as for the sludge, thats easy enough to sort by dropping the sump and cleaning the oil pump pick up, but thats assumming the damage has not already been done.

anyone thats not on long life servicing should be safe

springs/dampers/bushes will be all past their best

remap = 260bhp :thumbup:

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks for that just did a bit of reading into how to diagnose potential dmf issues, also good to know that you can change it to a smf without issue if needed.

EDIT: smf may not be an option as there is too much noise

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011
  4. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've looked into them too as seem to be a lot of car for the money. Only item that I'd like to see if the Haldex system being serviced, as memory serves me they need their oil changed at certain intervals.

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

40k intervals if my memory serves me correctly.

id love one to be honest (errrrrrr, my gf would love one, im a bloke)

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ps its a 240mm clutch on those. is there an easily available smf?

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

haha hence why I had to mention my wife in the post. On a serious note I wouldnt buy one if it mean't giving up my mk2 but as an additional car Im sure I could have fun in a nimble little four wheel drive 1.8t car. For the same sort of money I wanted to go for a E36 M3 but it makes more sense getting the TT as its very modern inside and out and I'm sure I'd be more comfortable working on the Audi.

8. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

You'll know if the DMF is buggered, it'll make all sort of rattling noises. I drove my mk4 with a duff one for 40k and it was still going strong lol(but sounded horrendous)
    Easy to work on, parts are pretty reasonable(front pads, 16.83 from GSF) although the 225 quattro can be a little flat and a tad thirsty on short trips.
    Saying that, I still went about bought another one as they drive rather nice.

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

so would you go for a 180 over a 225? I wanted to go for the 225 as I just assumed it would be better. Like the twin exhaust thing too.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

would be a 225 tbh

the 180 would only remap as far as a golf, the 225 would go to 260 ish. id rather have that, even if it meant PITA clutch change

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

do the 225s have any other extras such as the twin exhaust?

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

xenons perhaps?

id also be going for a coupe... i mean, the girlfriend would rather a coupe as a drop top would mess up her hair

13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Not a huge amount of extras from what I can see, just try and go for the best spec you can. Full leather not half, bose not std stereo, try and get an Audi cd head unit not a tape deck, climate control etc. Cup holder in the centre console is nice, and about 100 from the dealer if you want to fit one.
    I went for the cabrio this time around, as it was a nice example 53 plate 225. A remarkably good fitting hood, with hardly any wind noise the wrong side of a ton. Feels solid on the road and now it'sslightly lowered handles quite well.

14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I will be going for a coupe as we have kids also be looking for one that hasnt got any dodgy aftermarket add ons such as painted brake calipers, ripspeed alloy wheels and JVC head units as you know they were fitted as a compromise on spending the money on actually maintaining the vehicle.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Porsche 996 seats(front) also go straight in so could be a possible upgrade, they look nice in there too.

17. Lhasa2008 CGTI Regional Host

AFAIK the 180bhp are only 2wd the 225bhp version has quattro and twin exhausts.

Therefore the 180bhp version will be cheaper to buy, insure, run and easier to maintain.

Personally I'd go for the TT Sport 240bhp version though, as this will hold it's resale value with being a limited number made, but obviously they cost more in the first place [:[]

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the "sport" had no rear seats, a bllack roof and 240bhp, i cant see that being worth a premium tbh

wheels looked nice though

19. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

well I bought one very nice cared for example. Its tighter for space for the kids in the back compared to the 996. The missus is very happy. Has a weird over-revving issue when the clutch is dropped for a gear change, the one I drove yesterday did that too but otherwise faultless will nice grey leather.

[​IMG]

20. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

The 150bhp is fwd, the 180bhp comes in both fwd and Quattro and the 225bhp & 240bhp comes in Quattro only ;)