AUE Turbo Management

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by MNZ, Aug 9, 2011.

1. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Hello guys,

Does anyone know if there is a option to use standard AUE management on a turbo 24V engine?

Seems to be plenty out there for COP BDE engines but none for the coil pack AUE engines?

Barry

2. oburT6RV Forum Member

Have a word with Vince at Stealth Racing. I spoke to him about remapping my AUE for turbo use and there were complications. I can't remember what though I'm afraid!

3. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Well I have done some more digging:

I have an AUE engine code with Me7.1. ECU part number: 022 906 032 E. This engine was a solid coil pack wasted sprak engine from UK.

There seems to be no support for AUE engine software, so I was looking at running a BDE/BDF ECU. Having studied the wiring diagrams here are the
    only differences:

BDE/BDF has 6 spark trigger outputs for each coil on plug
    AUE has 3 spark trigger outputs for wasted spark coil pack

My plan for this was to run 3 new wires in my loom and double up on the
    waste spark connectors on coil pack, so the BDE ECU would be firing the waste spark coil
    pack twice if that makes sense.

BDE has dual VVT, so dual solenoids and hall sensors for both cams.

For this part I need to know if anyone can shut off the exhaust VVT and hall
    sensor in the mapping? And just run the intake VVT? Or if it would be
    possible to shut off the VVT all together so there is no fault codes if that makes it easier? I have approached a few people about this so we will see what comes back.

Alternatively I was thinking of possibly running the MK4 12V ECU from USA as I believe that is solid coil pack just need to look in to the cam trigger for them.

4. oburT6RV Forum Member

Have you spoken to Vince at Stealth Racing like I suggested? If anyone can, he can.

There is no support for the AUE because turbo software always starts in America, and they never got the AUE, but it is possible to remap the AUE, thereby avoiding all that unnecessary faffing about.

5. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Yep emailed Stealth 2 days ago and no reply. I am in New Zealand though so custom mapping not really going to be an option.

6. benthejettaman Forum Member

speak to c2 motorsport as they were trying to devol software for the aue engines

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You could run the old 12v M.3.8.1 ECU with the associated adaptive cable throttle for that engine.

It maybe that no one has the correct definition for that engine hence the lack of information.

The intake-vvt on that engine I would not worry about. The later in and ex vvt does have performance benefits if ECU adjustments are available.

8. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Emailed them also and no response.

I am actually looking at the AFP Mk4 12v VR6 software that they got in USA, so ME7.1 with DBW but no VVT as it was 12V. My issue is the crank sensor wheel on the AFP is on the Rear cam but the crank sensor wheel on AUE is on the front cam, although the patterns look the same..... Not sure about the synching.

I would be perfectly happy with no VVT as you say, the turbo will fill the void perfectly.

Here are some pics to see what I mean:

AUE Engine:
    [​IMG]

AFP 12v VR6 Engine:
    [​IMG]

9. Toyotec

That is a cam sensor or "G40" as opposed to crank sensor G28. You will need to phase this per engine to enable knock control and stop the camsensor from entering an "implausable" state, which in turn will pull timing.

10. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

Sorry you are totally correct, no idea why I was typing crank sensor, I did mean cam sensor and yes G40 is the code for it.

And just to clear things up, it was Storm I contacted by istake not Vince at Stealth, have sent him a message now.

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

from what i have been told the vvt on the AUE only works at start up and only for cold start any way

eye vince at stealth would be your best bet
    if not you could try united motorsport
    thats the two places that have been recommended to me

12. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

United Motorsport were pretty arrogant, well the UK arm was, very poor customer service. The actual United Motorsport guy in USA Jeff was ok but said he couldn't help.

Even although they claim right here to have a turbo 12v VR6 running on AUE management. [:v:]

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?139931.430 <------ second post down.

13. oburT6RV Forum Member

"Turbo4Motion" on the Vortex was able to get software for his New Zealand based AUE turbo. He said a company in the UK did it for him, and I'm willing to wager that someone was Vince at Stealth!

Over seas custom mapping isn't an issue if you can swap eproms and are prepared to be patient. I've known Vince for over 10 years. You would be in good hands with that guy. If no one in NZ can do this for you, you may not have a choice, or you could go standalone, which is what I am using on my 24V.

Ref the intake VVT on the AUE, it's full time. I think there is some confusion with the BDE / BUB's exhaust VVT which is only part of the warm up program, then switches off. What it does is heavily overlap with the intake VVT + the air pump to bring the cats up to temperature much quicker.

Intake VVT on all 24Vs is rpm and load based full time and I disagree it's not worth worrying about. It has a profound effect on torque, both in n'asp and boosted applications. If you know what you're doing with VVT, you can practically kill lag.

The US ME7 12V is a nice idea and cost effective if you can get it to work.

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

not so good but you tend to find this with a lot of places like this now they seem to think they are gods ffs

how about regal autosport have you tryed them

15. Toyotec

There is no "chip" swapping in ME7.X torque structure PCMs.
    The VVT on the AUE engine is there as an internal EGR feature which is used to reduce NOX emissions and to aid fuel economy on cruise. Higher loads the cam is in the locked position. The same ethos applies to 1.8T engines with vvt.
    SAI is a different feature and serves to "light up the cat" using a rich mixture and spark retard.
    With Twin VVT as found in R32 engines you can vary the cams to both + have performance benefits. This can be play about with some success on turbo applications.
    The OE ECU calibration does make provisions for burn when the cams are moving vs when they are locked.

The reason why the infomation for this ECU is sparse is due to ceratin companies possibly not having the correct definations, and understadning the respective strategy to match the various software revisions.
    This is a very tricky subject that I would say no more on.

To be fair if this whole OEM malarky is not required I would just simply run the engine on a SEM and get a good mapper to develop the base map then get yourself trained up on the system and optimise to your liking. Get ECU mapped somewhere else ( for a different engine) to match custom hardware is not really recommended.

16. MNZ

MNZ Forum Member

I have spoken with Turbo4Motion and yes he used Vince, as I say I am awaiting reply.

I am with Toyotec, the early VVT on AUE is same as 1.8T method and is not going to eliminate lag. Sure I would like to keep if possible but being 2.8l and turbo I can do without it if need be.

Toyotec - The car is for a customer and he lives a long way away from me, hence I would prefer to keep standard ECU with ability to read fault codes etc.