AUQ remap / turbo upgrade

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Ditchyboy, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

I've got an AUQ from a Leon Cupra with KO3s as standard which I'm hoping to get into a mk2 next year. I was thinking of mapping it and whilst at it getting the turbo converted to a KO3s / KO4 hybrid so hope to run 260bhp.

Couple of things:
    Will the engine cope with this?
    Will the mk3 Gti 5 speed gearbox cope?
    Will this power be pointless without a LSD?

Would a remap on the KO3s be better and more reliable and would it reach 220bhp?

Thanks

2. RBPE Forum Member

In order of your Q's;
    1. An engine can fail as stock, making sure it is fresh and in good condition alongside the hardware is always imperative in any tuning but many would run that combo/power on oem. You can keep with stock or spend a fortune and everything in between with the engine tbh - as you can pick up engines for 50-200 many will just budget to replace one if need be but again, with unknown history it can also be a risk. If you're planning on running high torque (300-350+lb/ft) in the future you would want to look for forged rods and some hardware like rod bolts as a start, if planning that I'd just get a cheap 2nd hand engine and build it up to your budget, loads of threads about.
    2. Most of the boxes are rated to 350nm as stock, LSD/ATB always a good idea, oem clutch would do about 300-350lb/ft but again, depends on the condition really! I have little torque steer problems at 350nm+ though on stock.

Generally you'd be okay as is for a 260/260 type of conversion, the k04 conversion parts might be an option too for 400-500 or a hybrid.

I mapped my high miler AUQ recently and got 209-212hp & 239lb/ft (325nm) at 15.5psi or so and 220-226hp/263lb/ft (356nm) at 17.4psi bone stock with an induction kit and there was plenty more left in it, just ecu problem stopped play until I sort another when I have time. So it's basically at the limits of the oem g-box limits already but it handled it no probs (02M though), running >375nm on 5sp 02J on another car though too no probs, oem clutch.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The game of numbers is only as good as the dyno's data set that you plan to use. I will refrain from qouting numbers.

1)AUQ engines with 06A906032HN ecus are fine with a recut of the engine map to deliver 1.2 to 1.3 bar at 2800-4500rpm and maintain ~ 1.1 to the increased rev limit of 7200rpm. The exact same can be said for AUM engines. EV6 315cc injectors can remain the same.
    2) When you fit 5304 turbos to these either AUM or AUQ, due to the increased airflow from 3000-6000rpm from the same boost thresholds you will also need injectors from the AMK/BAM or any other OEM high output 20vT with capacities of 386cc/min. Naturally the higher CR of the AUM/AUQ will limit timing for mappers and torque developed on pump fuel, compared to the similar 9.0:1 20vT.
    3) Some work is required to improve response between cruise and WOT.
    4) A MK3 GTI 020 gearbox and clutch will not cope for long with more than double the engine torque put through it, even if shifting like Miss Daisy. A MK3 GTI 16v 02A gearbox will be better suited or even an 02J from the same type of engine.
    5) LSDs are pointless in a road car IMO. If you do trackdays and understand car control, then a basis ATB would be useful for attacking bends optimising your suspension and steering geometry.
    6) If you drive a GTI MK3 2.0 8v now, then any mapped 20vT will feel supercar like for outright acceleration.

4. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Thanks for responses both very informative. The gearbox is a 02A from mk3 Gti 16v. I will give the LSD a miss and realise that any engine can go bang but just wanted to know a bit more about potential. I think to start with for the cost and to get it on the road I'll stick with the KO3s and map it to see where it gets too then maybe upgrade the turbo to a hybrid down the line. I don't currently drive anything exciting as I have a hilux for work but did have a 350bhp Blobeye Impreza Sti which was immense and just hope that the lighter weight mk2 can give the same fun factor.

Thanks again

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I used to own a CE9A EVO3, tuned with higher boost than stock and that used to pull pretty savage. I also had a ver 5 GC8 JDM Scooby STI. The acceleration of these and many Japanese 2.0 16v turbo vehicles were used as a benchmark when I developed the WOLF R's ABF turbo engine.

From experience, a Golf 2 with a remapped 8L S3 engine, i.e. AMK, APY or BAM would be close match to any of those stock but fettled examples I suggested, based on it's share lack of weight.

A MK3 is heavier and would need more supporting mods on a 20vT to get the acceleration where it would be a match for say your "350bhp" Scooby.

6. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Hi Toyotec, thanks for the reply. The engine is going in a mk2 not sure if I've put mk3 somewhere by mistake as I noticed you mentioned a couple of times.
    Hopefully a mk2 with 220bhp ish (although only numbers) will be good fun, it's not for everyday so as long as it gives a smile I'm happy. I don't have money to go highly tuned and wouldn't want to stress the stock components to run into issues and costs.