Auto adjusting clutch cable

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by MarcN, May 1, 2010.

1. MarcN Forum Member

Hi all,

Just replaced the clutch cable on my MK2. Seems that VW have discontinued the clutch cable, and GSF could only offer an auto adjusting one, where originally it was a manually adjusted one. The cable came with this piece, I'm not sure what it's used for. I'd be very grateful if someone could post a pic of their auto adjuster cable fitted showing where the below piece goes.

http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/...iew&current=16d8ba7b.jpg&evt=user_media_share

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Dunno - what did you ask them for? If you gave them the registration or year of your car, and it's post-89, then they wouldn't have the manual cable listed for your car. You have to ask them for a cable for an earlier car.

The only thing I've ever done with an auto-adjust cable was to cut it off with an angle grinder - it was quite satisfying.

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

The thingy you pictured is what you hold the adjusting bit tight with as you put it all together. There is a picture on here somewhere? It is just left hanging after fitment.
    Beware. The rubber buffer under the lever arm is a different thickness on the Auto. Adjust. compared with the Manual Adjust one. One is about three times as thick as the other. Can't remember which though!