Autoglym Polish

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by dan_1987, Sep 16, 2007.

1. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Hi guys,

I've been using Autoglym's Bumper Care for years, and I'm so impressed by the stuff. I'm after some new polish for my car, so I'm going to look into getting some Autoglym Polish.

Now, just had a look on ebay, and there's a couple of types: Super Resin Polish, Deep Shine (Dark) Polish. My car is black, and two of the doors are slightly faded around the window, so it would be nice to get them looking a bit better. So basically, I'm not sure what to buy. Any suggestions?

2. nealey Forum Junkie

ive got the super resin polish, its ok, very easy on easy off

Personally im looking to get something a little better that can give me a better shine

3. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Hmm, thats interesting. I won't rush out to buy that then. I'm hoping for a general polish, that will also help to bring out the faded door frames. I used Meer (spl?) before and wasn't that impressed.

Maybe the Deep Shine Polish would do the trick. Anyone used this?

4. nealey Forum Junkie

You could always go over it with t cut 1st then try the polish

My red mk2 polshed up well with the super resin polish but wasnt as impressed with it on my black one

Let me know how it goes as i would like a better shine on my black one!

5. 91davidw Forum Member

Try Meguiars Deep Crystal Car 3 Step Car Cleaner/Polish/Wax

Step 1 - Paint Cleaner, Restores damaged and dull finishes and oxidation

Step 2 - Polish, Deep Show Car Reflections

Step 3 - Carnauba Wax, Gives extraordinary long lasting beading

Can get Meguairs from Halfords I think, its easy to use

Hope this helps

Cheers
    David

6. paulyb Forum Member

IF you want to stick with autoglym they do a couple of polish's super resin as you say is like a base coat polish then use autoglym extra gloss which will give you a protective coat and a fantastic shine.

If your paintwork is faded they do a paintwork restorer which isnt as harsh as t-cut then do the 2step polish as above.

Everyone on here will have a preference on which make they prefer whether its autoglym, meguirs or zymol at the end of the day I can recomend them all, just got to try find your preference

7. paulyb Forum Member

Think deep shine is recommended for new or nearly new paintwork so thats the mk2 out the window:lol:

8. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Lol, yeh, you're right there! Ok, will look into the colour restorer. It seems to looks ok after a polish, but just fades too quickly. Thanks for your help.

9. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

I have the Meguairs 3 step and the Autoglym Deep shine and I would opt for the Autoglym given the choice. It works very well on my black MK2 and gives a deeper shine than the Meguairs.

10. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Does it restore the colour though? Maybe I should use T-cut and then a standard polish to restore the fading.

11. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

to restore the colour I recommend Turtle wax colour polish - works well on mine

12. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

super resin polish is godly. its been out for years, its basically a polish (so ought to go some way to restore the paint) and the 'super resin' part adds the protection to bead water away.

if you get too into polishing your car, your kids will most likely be born gay, as recent surveys have shown.

as for ultra deep shine, it is meant for dark colours, but specifically for newer type paints. on my mk3 it was no better than super resin polish, but was a fair bit harder to use.

on my sisters boxster, it went on and came off almost as well as the super resin stuff.

super resin polish has the ability to last absolutely ages also.

14. mk28vICED Forum Member

on my white mk2 i used autoglym paint restorer to get all the ****e off followed by super resin polish then Meguirs Gold class wax on top. when it rains or i wash it now it beads really well you can tell its well waxed. all good stuff IMO. a Valeter i know who does expensive cars swears by Zymol. you need good polishing cloth too. unless you like shaking the bits out of the cheap cloth all the time. i use qcloth.

15. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Spawn_of_Satan_666 Forum Member

If you want to get the BEST results then you need to take the following steps.

Firstly you'll need some G4 paint resin, this will cut back a good layer of paint, but will leave scratches all over the body work. Ideally this should be done with a buffer, but it can be done by hand.

Secondly then you'll need to use a polish like T cut, to get rid of the scratches left by the G4.

Finally you'll then need to give the car a good wax.

Tip; if you use G4 then you'll need to cover any black trim areas (it turns them white).

Honestly this will give a 'like new' appearance.

Hope that helps.

16. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Blimey, so many different products! It's all a bit confusing. It's only a small patch of fading - basically the top half of both n/s doors (5dr car). In particular, around the window frame area. Will a standard T-cut help to remove the top layer of paint, or do I need a stronger 'paint remover'? Could I then using Autoglyms Super Resin to remove the scratches?

Sorry to sound a bit thick. Thanks for your help.

17. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Sukhi you have never even polished your car in your life.

How can you give tips on here?

I use autoglm deep resin polish and buff it off with a microfibre

Then I use poorboys wax (green bottle). This seals the polish - buff off with a clean microfibre

You can use this poorboys wax in direct sunlight. The microfibre doesnt leave grease marks behind like other cloths

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  18. Spawn_of_Satan_666

Spawn_of_Satan_666 Forum Member

To be honest i wouldn't use t-cut at all. I've never been happy with the finish it gives.

19. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Deep Resin being Deep Shine or Super Resin?

I might get myself some Super Resin, and give it a go with that.

20. Blue MK2 Forum Member

the black label lol

EDIT: Bin your leather chamoise and buffing cloths

buy lots of microfibre towels! better results

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007