B3 Passat

Discussion in 'Passat' started by Raider, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Raider Forum Member

Hi... In looking around for half decent workhorse I've seen a 1800 B3 Passat Estate. Its up on miles but cheap and clean looking and ticks most of the boxes.

Are the gearboxes in these cable or rod change?

Any common rot places things to look out for...?

Cheers TIA:thumbup:

2. PeeJay Forum Junkie

What year is B3? My '01 plate Passat drives like it did when it was new (my Dad had it before me from new) no sign of rot yet. 100k miles and the only thing it's needed apart from normal service items are:

3 wheel barings
    indicator control thing which is built into the hazzard switch - cheap and easy job
    radio died because of a dodgy aftermarket handsfree.

It's going in for a clear out of the plenum (chamber) and modify it on a free recall. Which probably means they'll drill a bigger drain in it.

3. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

my 92 b3 2e is a cable change and a great mile munching work horse, seats down and its got so much room, no rot on it at all.

edit: think a 01 is a b5 or b6

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  4. Raider Forum Member

1990 this ones on.......:thumbup:

5. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

all B3's are cable change, what engine are you going for
    2L is excellent on fuel, better than the 1.8

6. Raider Forum Member

One I've seen is a 1.8... guessing same as PB Golf? mpg?

7. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

most of the 1.8 are 90bhp SPI
    I used to get around 34mpg on my 1.8, where as the 2L used to do around 39mpg on the same route and driving conditions

The 2L is the same engine as the Mk3 golf gti

8. Raider Forum Member

Definately PB engined this one...I'll be picking it up next couple of days.. It will be set up using Rubjonnys guide in Engine FAQ as soon as i get a chance.:thumbup:

Like I say its up on miles... still less than my PB MK2 but has had bottom end rebuild circa 25k miles ago been looked after with genuine VAG filters etc...... Reasonably cheap and will do exactly what I want it for for the next few months until its test... Ive gone through last few Tests online upto now I know it needs a patch of welding on the passenger side rear sill and probably a couple of brake flexis.. .... If it goes tits up at test It'll become the Donor to get my MK2 alive:thumbup:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

mine was bought as a donor, but its still going strong, shame as I want 2.0 bottom end and the brakes front and back for the mk1 cabby and all the wide track and hydro clutch/ cable change for the mk2, all those parts would cost alot more than buying a whole car.

10. Raider Forum Member

Thats how I've looked it at this... I've been making a list that I know of for the MK2 and it's not that excessive maybe a few tops but it's one of them I just never seem to get round to do.... If the Passat retests again reasonably cheap happy days if not its still happy days for the MK2...

Anyone point me in direction of what MK2 Golf Bushes I need for the front Wishbones on the B3?