"Banging" noise while moving off

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by tsutton, Feb 13, 2014.

1. tsutton Forum Member

W reg VW Golf 1.4 "E" (MK4)

Hi all,

My car has developed something strange...

ALWAYS 1st thing in the morning, when I drive the car away from our driveway, it would make a "banging" noise, metal on metal and then soon after that, it stopped. When the car has 'warmed up' it no longer makes any noise when stopped at a traffic, setting off, etc.

But after parking up, for example at a supermarket for food shopping for an hour, the noise would return but soon disappears.

I am at to loss to what is causing this and it's annoying me pretty much!!

My wife stood outside to 'listen' and she think it's coming from the rear tyres. I had a look at the wheel's nuts and all of them are tightened up OK. Brake discs & pads looks OK to me.

What else can I look? Or does anyone know what causes this?

Thanks all!

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

A 1.4 would have drums on the back wouldn't it? (my dad's 1.6i Octavia does) Sounds like a sticky brake shoe. worth whipping the drums off and making sure all the springs etc are ok and nothing has seized inside the mech.

3. tsutton Forum Member

They are brake discs on the rear.

4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Could be a sticky caliper then.

Both of mine on my Mk4 ended up seizing, and both were replaced. And I was getting this metal clunking noise from mine too beforehand.

5. tsutton Forum Member

Hmm, not what I wanted to hear! Is there a way to test it to confirm it's the caliper or not?

Thanks

6. tsutton Forum Member

Decided to risk it and took my car to be MOT'ed today - passed but with one advisory.

"Nearside inner front lower suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement [2.4.G.2]"

To me, that does make sense as I think it's related... would others agree as well?

The arm looks OK to me so I think it might be better just to change the rubber bushes.

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

just sounds like he's covering him self if you ask me
    as the front can be like that for years it's the rear bush on the front wishbone that tends to go's
    i have a picture of one thats broke up

if you are changing the wishbone bush's i'd fit r32/tt rear bushs or polly ones

8. MUSHY 16V

this is one off tdi

[​IMG]

9. vr6smith Forum Member

If it's coming from the rear, it does sound like brakes, mot only test brake efficiency and pad thickness, they would not pick up a dodgy calliper. Usually brakes cling on when wet.

if you park the car one night and leave it in gear with wheels chocked so it can't move but don't apply the handbrake. When you drive it in the morning if the noise is gone it's the pads sticking to the disc, if it's still there it's not the brakes and you can move on to the next thing to check.

Hope this helps.

Btw, if the bush is an advisory, it shouldn't cause an issue, most bushes wont knock until badly split and therefore showing excessive movement.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. MUSHY 16V

aye the hand brake sticking on is common
    i would try winding the piston back in
    the one on my 4motion was solid

11. tsutton Forum Member

Looks like I forgot to update this post.

Turns out to be something simple... the rear exhaust back box!!! When cold, it was moving up & down so much, it was hitting the underpan. But once warmed up, with the engine smoothed out, it stopped the banging noise.

At least it's now resolved. [:D]