Basic picture edit?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by mat-mk3, Dec 26, 2008.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Im not into phopography a massive ammount but i like good pictures.

Ive taken a couple of my dog in some wrapping paper yesterday and they are not the best photos. One would be great but its a tiny bit blurey[:^(]

Im no wizz on PS, I can edit a car but im looking into making the whole picture stand out a little. Is there any basic things i can do to a pic to get good quality out of it?

They have been shot with a camera phone unfortunately but its 8.1 megapixels.

I will post a could of the best ones later for you guys to have a go.

Cheers
    Mat:)

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

just sorting the colour balance and contrast out completely transforms a photo, use curves for this, then brightness/contrast if you feel it needs it.

any other effects are up to you, depends what you're looking for :thumbup:

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Post it up, Matt and let's have a look.

It's possible to sharpen things up a bit and like Wez says, fettle the colour balance and contrast.

Sharpness is the most difficult to tackle, but I'm sure between us, it can be improved at least a bit.

4. mat-mk3

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

lol - he's a cutie! The first one looks like a bit of camera shake, nothings in sharp focus. The other two have focussed on the paper and not on the dog.

What resolution are those pics, Matt? And have you resized them? It would be better to work on the originals if you've messed with them at all. PM sent with my email addy so you can send originals.

6. mat-mk3

Nope. Thats the origionals sorry[8(]

They were shot in 8.1MP but with my phone. Not the best im sure.
    If you cant do much with them then no bother. Will wait till next year and get the digi cam out:lol:

Its a good camera in daylight but indoor it starts to go downhill...[:^(]

7. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Matt, I've had a little play with them, but can't get the dog much sharper. Some of the other PS experts are much better than I am, so hopefully will be able to do better.

The reason why the latter two have the dog out of focus is because there are lots of nice hard edges on the wrapping paper for the camera to focus on, instead of the soft, rounded, squidgy bits of the dog.

Whenever you can, you should always try and focus on eyes (people or animals), though I guess it's difficult when you're using a phone instead of a real camera and when you've got a fast-moving little creature like your dog.

Why don't you go out, buy yourself a load more presents, chuck all the paper on the floor, then try again? ;) Or get the paper back out your bin and set up the scene again tomorrow, when there is plenty of light, and try again?

8. mat-mk3

That is a good point. Ive still got it in a black bag but my mum would have a go if i made a mess of the place again!:lol:

My phone has face detection and its great on humans. Not tried it on the dog though...:lol:

9. pRot3us Forum Junkie

[​IMG]

[:|]

10. stella

stella Forum Junkie

lol - they're impressive squidgy bits! :lol:

Is he a spaniel? Mine came without any, as they'd been removed by the time I adopted him. (Which is probably the reason he keeps getting humped when I take him to the park...... )

11. enc. Forum Member

:lol: :lol:

Come and get it while its hot :o