Battery drain - normal current draw?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by bootsie, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

That's what I mean it's not smart it's the work of a [:o)] lol

2. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Ah, ok - combination mis-reading on a tiny iPhone screen and sense of humour having gone to sleep too early lol

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

What GVK said. Wire in an ammeter, external, lock the car with all windows shut. Have a cup of tea, check you still have the draw you thought you had....
    Been there also, Audi A2 !
    Jon

4. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Draw is solved now (dodgy wiring by a previous owner) but seem to have knackered the exciter circuit in the process of testing the alternator.

5. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Tested the alternator voltage after a quick blast down the road today, getting 14ish volts. So whatever is going on with the exciter circuit doesn't seem to be stopping the charging.
    I'd still like to fix it though, does anyone know if the exciter diodes are part of the replaceable voltage regulator pack or are they internal to the alternator somewhere?

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the alternator will trigger when its revved, but for 100% perfect workign alternator you need that there blue wire circuit working. try earthign the blue wire ring terminal on the alternator itself, if light still comes on its alternator. if not the blue wire is snapped somewhere in the alternator loom :)

7. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, the light comes on when the blue wire is earth, so it's the alternator. Is it repairable do you know? Part of the regulator perhaps? Or is it just toasted and I need a new alternator?

8. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

bootsie likes this.
  9. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, probably more grief to change the diodes than to replace the alternator by the looks of it.

10. rubjonny

if it was me i would go mk3 alternator setup, its same for 8v and 16v except forthe crank pulley is 16v specific. depends what comes up foirst i guess, abf crank pulley or mk2 16v alternator!

11. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

I was looking to do this as part of my 9A conversion, but I also have A/C so I guess that's really going to confuse things?

12. rubjonny

with mk3 setup only thing you need to convert to a/c is the a/c waterpump v-belt pulley, plus the compressor itself. however yours is aftermarket kit isnt it? if so you might find it wont bolt to mk3 setup and the pipes might not be the same as a mk3 compressor...

13. bootsie Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, mine's aftermarket A/C.
    I'll leave that as part of the 9A conversion then as I can try assembling it all off the car first. I'll just look for a KR alternator for now I think.