Battery in boot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by D4RK1, Nov 20, 2003.

1. D4RK1 Forum Member

I need to do this to my mk2

is it just a case of running to wires from the bay upto the boot, i plan to use the 4AWG power cable thats already in for the amps as this runs from the bay to the boot, and will get some 4AWG earth cable for the negative side of the battery.

I know to make sure there will be no sharp edges to snag/short the cable but is there anything else i need to be careful of?

Thanks for your help :)

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Have a look in the latest issue of 'retro cars' mag, there's a feature all about how to do this in there! Good timing on your part! ;)

3. D4RK1 Forum Member

nice one stu, i take it i can pick this mag up at WHSmith then?

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, good mag - they have it in WHSmith and the usual places. Think it's on the 3rd or 4th issue now, also a feature on rebuilding/modding Golf 8v motors. :)

5. D4RK1 Forum Member

Kool thanks for that then mate, nice little job for the weekend! :)

polo looks real clean in yer sig mate!!!!

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

You will need a very hefty cable.

Also have you thought about where to hook al your lives that are in the engine bay at the moment too? Most people overlook this. Hook them up to the +ve terminal on the alternator.

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers! It's pretty tidy! [8D]

8. D4RK1 Forum Member

Alright Andy, well im pretty sure 4gauge cable should be upto the job (it better be) And i am gonna use a common block for the positive cables, they are all together at the mo on the battery terminal so ill use a brass block like used in the ICE power splitters. Same with the Negative. House them in a isolated box so will be nice and safe.

cheers for the tip about the alternator mate!

9. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

You'll need something thicker than 4awg I reckon. You've got about 2meters minimum run from boot to engine bay, and from my calcs on some 70mm2 cable (about 1/2 awg I think) that drops about 1/2volt at 400A over that length. I'm thinking of doubling it up to keep the voltage drop to a minimum.

You've also got legal/safety issues about running a lead acid battery in the passenger compartment. As a minimum you need to vent it to the outside to allow for Hydrogen discharge. I think most places want you to use a non-spillable gel type battery or something like those Optima thingumies.

10. D4RK1 Forum Member

hmmm cheers sky,

ill give an auto electrician a call then about the volt drop, because its going to more like 4m of cable to get from the engine bay to the boot. BMW and Mercedes have batteries in the boot so i think the discharge should be fine. keep the windonws down :lol:

thanks for your help mate.

11. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

what battry are you going to use?

i think ill need to do this at some point. i was thinking a red/yellow top but i think these are expansive.

tim

12. D4RK1 Forum Member

Well ive got a Bosch silver top in the garage, i put it in when i had the GTi engine but now with the 20v the intercooler pipework mean i can only have a small battery.

Im thinking about the Yellow/Red top ICE batteries your on about but they are about 200, but they are fully sealed, and can be mounted at any angel even upside down. A lot of money tho.

13. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

might be worth it though, makes it a hell of a lot safer.

what other gear have you got,

are you on msn mate? timnicebutdim69@hotmail.com

tim