Battery warning light in the heavy rain?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by TonyGTI, Nov 3, 2003.

1. TonyGTI New Member

Hey you guys!

Anyone got any ideas why the following is happening???

I was driving along yesterday in the torrential rain and I noticed that my battery warning light was flickering and there was a really high-pitched wining noise coming form the engine. Now normally when it’s really wet I have trouble turning right as the power steering belt seems to “slip” but I have never had the battery warning light come on before.

After about 30 seconds the light went out and I’ve not seen it since but I’m worried that something is broken and or is on the way out.

Any thoughts on what’s going on?

Cheers in advanced for any help!

P.S – I’ve got a Golf GTI 8v - 1991/J

2. Seizure Forum Member

Don't panic. It's nothing serious.

Auxiliary belt is slipping when you go through puddles and the belts/pulleys get wet. Either tighten the existing belt or buy a new one and replace.

3. Seizure Forum Member

Oh. You can buy splashguards from VW. I believe they were fitted on the later models. Someone on here will know the part number. Unfortunately I don't.

4. TonyGTI New Member

Cheers for the advice!

Quick question - Are you saying the steering isn't working because the belt is wet/loose or the battery warning light is coming on because of this?

Or will the splashguard fix both problems?

Cheers.

5. Seizure Forum Member

Both symptoms are a cause of slipping auxilary belts.

A splashguard will help reduce the chances of this problem, but correctly tensioned, new belts, shouldn't suffer from this in the first place.

VW introduced the splashguard on later models, but there wasn't a recall to fit them as far as I'm aware. So I depends if you want to splash out (pun intended) on a new guard or not.

6. loosenutz New Member

Does anyone have the part number by any chance? The front of my splashguard parted company with the bumper and introduced itself to the road the other day, only to flap under the wheel and dissapear in my rear view mirror [:s] and the local VAG dealer didnt have the part showing on the fiche they had either.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

I had just the flickering light once so i booted it to see if it cleared but i later found out it wouldn't start when stopped? ........Yeah i'd knackered the alternator with water[:x] Hmmm 140 later i was back on the road[:^(].
    Edited by: fthaimike

8. Viper Forum Member

My battery light comes on sometimes when I first start the car (Mk2 Valver). But seems to be at random intervals and happens only once or twice a week. Could this mean the alternator's on it's way out? :(

Not noticed any problems yet. Just the light coming on.

Cheers.

Rob

PS - part no. for the splash guards are:

big bumpers - 191 825 250 A
    small bumpers - 191 825 250

Courtesy of someone else on the forum from another thread and not my extreme knowledge of VWs! ;)[8-}]

9. loosenutz New Member

cheers for the part no's [:*:]