Beaten, by a bl00dy Lupo....

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by PhatVR6, Sep 10, 2005.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

no, not in a race, in the garage.

All the jobs I've done, and all the engine swaps and 4wd stuff, and cars I've built from bare shells and stuff, yet I CANNOT get this bl00dy gearbox back on this 1.0 Lupo...it's defeaten me and I've given up.

The fecking thing packed in a week after buying the Golf Country (just as I put the Lupo up for sale), spat 2nd gear around the box, made some horrible noises (it'd whined a bit sice we bought it, I knew it was going to go one day)

Got the box out in an hour, easy. Then spent the next 5 hours wrestling and juggling the new b4stard about. It will NOT go on the splines, and I can't pull it on with the bolts as there isn't any at the bottom so it'll just pull the top in.

I haven't touched the clutch, so the plate is still centred. checked the dowels, both in the block, noe in the box. The box is totally identical to the one I've tken off, yet it won't fecking fit!!!! AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHH

I said years ago I'd never do another gearbox without pulling the engine out, and I wish I had now (although I'd then have been tempted to fit a 2.8 V6 that I have sat on the garage floor!

I'm SO tempted to fit the old one back on and go drive it up a treee [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]
    retched car.

(oh, it's for sale when it's fixed 2700) ;)

2. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

Stick it in gear and turn the out put flanges abit to try and get the main shaft to lineup.... ichuggin hatedoing gear box swaps without the use of a ramp or any help![8(]

3. Mr.LaZy Forum Member

I know what its like, i've had many the same problem when i've been at work [8(] [:x] :lol:

Some times u just need to step back and go back 2 it later :)

And hope it goes better :lol:

if not.... drive the fu*ker into a wall [:x] :lol:

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

tried that, fecker still son't have it.

it'll be f*cking 'having it' tomorrow if it's not on by 10am ah tell thee.

5. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

LOL, last time I gid the box on me golf it was a bit like that.

Box when up and down so many times it felt like I was doing bench presses!! If id wanted to excercise I would have gone down the gym!!

Turned out to be a slightly bent cover on mine which I'd done when removing the thing. [:x]

So frustrating when simple jobs turn into a marathon!

6. spaced Forum Member

[xx(] [:^(]

7. mk1. Forum Junkie

does the clutch centre plate match the gearbox?

8. Admin Guest

know that feeling very well, out a peice of p*ss, getting it back in was a fcking mare, you end up undoing more, taking off more than you need too,

[:x] [:x] [:x]

the polos clutch is being done by the garage. i'm not having any of that shenanigans!

9. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Polo ones are a piece of pish to do, had my G40's box in and out a few times with no hassle!

Alan

10. Admin Guest

haven't got the time or the energy to do it. got a million other cars that need some sort of attention and its getting silly [8(]

11. Paul Forum Member

Are the input shaft splines on the box the same as the one that came out?? Might be worth taking the clutch plate assembily off and offering up the friction plate to the new box and seeing if it fits?