Being beeped at when turning right

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Elfin, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Elfin New Member

When I turn right hard, ie round a roundabout my GTI is beeping at me. I'm fuessing its something like the low fuel warning beep but just wanted confitmation. Cheers.

2. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Is it the horn? sometimes the bolts securing the wiper/ indicator unit stick out and touch on the back of the steering wheel. Pop the wheel of and tighten them up.

3. Supercharged Forum Member

The only bleep a MK2 would make is the oil pressure warning.

Don't drive it before you've checked you're oil level!

4. Elfin New Member

No not the horn. And oh right. Oil level is at half. About to do a change so wasnt going to top up until then. Would the oil pressure beep not be accompanied with a warning light?

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

oil warning is a buzzing noise rather than a bleep,and the fact you take sharp or hard corners and this happens says to me low pressure as the oil moves in the sump and yes it should be accompanied by a warning light,but these are only led's and can fail

6. Elfin New Member

The oil pressure led works i believe as i comes on when i turn on the ignition and then goes off after starting. But the noise is more of a bleep :s

7. neil kaye Forum Junkie

mmm there are two senders though one for low and on for high pressure ,so could be a sender fault maybe ?,thats a guess though,never heard a bleep so id be interested o find out what this is

8. fthaimike Forum Addict

Is the beep a faulty/loose relay?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

mk2 dash certainly doesnt bleep, its more of a weak bzzzzzzz. try disconnecting the yellow wire from the white oil pressure sensor on the gearbox and rev it over 2k. if it makes the same noise you know it is indeed the low oil pressure warning. if not then you need to keep looking!

10. gticm New Member

Hi, have similar problem, when driving the sensor light flickers and the buzzer buzz's briefly, but when i take off the oil filler cap theres plenty of oil being thrown around the top of the engine, is it just the sensor faulty? These are the ones down near the oil filter?

also, car can be a bit smokey on idle, nothing major (blueish smoke), she is fine when i drive normally, but if i drive her hard for a mile she will be smokey enough to know something aint right? checked the dipstick and shes 5mm over the full mark, so will drain some oil out this weekend, also will check the breather pipes at the airbox and have a look at the sparks, but reckoning its valve stem seals? how much is this to get fixed?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

check the 2 pressure switch wires, and make sure they arnt leaking oil