Best coilovers for performance

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by RoryH, Aug 12, 2011.

1. RoryH Forum Member

All,

Picked up my mk3 gti 16v a few months ago and the time has come to stick her on some half decent coilovers. My last mk3 was a 1.4 and I used JOM coilovers and it handled like a bag of rubbish (probably because of how low she was) so I want a set of coilovers that will really improve the handling of my gti at around 50mm to 70mm lowering.
    Iv got a bonus coming in this month so am looking to spend a maximum of around 500, iv been looking at KW V1s, FK highsports and GAZ GHA's, can anyone push me in the right direction? What's worked well in the past with people?

Cheers!

Rory

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

For 500 your in an price bracket where you can only get height adjustable fixed damping. I have no experience with Gaz but i would tend to steer away from FK. Theyre overpriced and have questionable quality adjusters seize easy. Weitec GT*(made by KW) are good, i have these on both my cars and are probably had for ~450 they have a plastic adjuster and bigger threads, so they don't have the same seizing problem. The KW V1 are similar to the weitecs but are corrosion resistant. And cost ~600.

3. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

I bought a set of BC Racing coilovers for my mk3 VR6 a month or so ago... ran them for 2 weeks before pranging the car at the Ring... grr..

However - the coilovers were very well built. Height & damping adjustable. The height is adjustable from the hub mount (not the spring platform), which leaves the spring platform free/adjustable for corner weight set-up. You can specify what spring rates you want too.

I loved the adjustability levels and the performance. Well worth a look at. I picked mine up for only 60 more than the GAZ coilovers.

4. RoryH Forum Member

Cheers guys, Rayhoop i would like to go for some coilovers with adjustable damping as i want to track my car in the future and it may be a good investment but i really cant afford spending the extra money (BC Racing coilies are over 650). So i am more enclined to go with Weitec GT's ;) although what does everyone think of these?

KW V1: http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=13280003H&a=i

They are KW V1's but the same price as the Weitec GT's so which ones are better?

Weitec GT: http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=13280003H&a=i

Anyone shed some light as im inclined to go with the KW's because of the lower range so i can take the car down to about 70mm without maxing out the coilovers and damaging the handling to much.

Cheers,
    Rory

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think they are basically the same unit with different colour springs. Thats if your talking about the basic version of the KW's. The inox ones are 670 on that site.

6. RoryH Forum Member

So what seperates the KW V1 Basics and the Inox's? just that one is made out of stainless and one galvanised?
    Anyway im not planning on going for the Inox's im just torn between the V1 Basics and the GT's, so surely if the V1's are basicly exactly the same as the GT's then it would be clear to go with the V1 Basics because they offer a better lower range which i might make use of.

Cheers