Best place to buy quality tools....

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by suttonval, Jul 22, 2007.

1. suttonval Forum Member

Been adding to my tool collection for a while now, almost purchased a socket and spanner set from halfords today for 150 but have decided to shop around a bit more first. Is the professional range from halfords worth the money?? Although there not expensive in comparison to the likes of snap-on and bahco etc its a lot of money if there not going to last 5 mins.

Where do you guys get your tools from?? Are there any good tool websites you can recommend ??

2. Admin Guest

3. Admin Guest

the 150pc set is good but if you aren't in rush wait for it to drop to 100, seems to be done regularly....

4. nealey Forum Junkie

halfords ratchets are better than the mac tools ones i have

5. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

id recommend you look in the tools forum really [:D]

surely you need to decide on what you actually need first?

my approach has been to go for a chunky 1/2 drive set for brutal jobs. ill need a 1/4 kit to go below 10mm and get in small places.

ive got hex bits, but need the star ones too.

ive based mine on autoexpress reviews as they actually test them. for screw drivers im going for a clarke pro set, they did really well in one of the tests and only cost 20 for some invincible screw drivers

Last edited: Jul 22, 2007
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

7. suttonval Forum Member

Good call, when did that appear??! [:s]

8. g60notter Forum Member

they do a lifetime guarantee too, lifetime being however long u can keep your reciept intact for [:D] the trick is to laminate the f***er ;)

9. Admin Guest

the other day, i've been pushing for it for a while now,

please use it;) [:D]

10. inoakgreen Forum Member

cant go wrong with visiting car boot sales!!!!

11. Supercharged Forum Member

I've only been to a couple over the last year or so but i've seen some absolute ****e being sold for top money, better off going to a VW show i'd say...

Halfords 150 Pce set is 68 on the trade card when it's selling for 99 - can't beat it and you have somewhere to take stuff back if it breaks which i've yet to do in 5 years...

12. inoakgreen Forum Member

when i go, i look for all those selling s/h bits and bobs. gotta make sure you buy good quality bits. last time i went got loadsa sockets rachets open end ring spanners - all for a tenner!!!! bargain!!!!

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

14. jayp New Member

I have used the Halfords Professional tools before, and found them to be quite good. Even I couldn't break one of the ratchets with 3 foot scaffold bar on it to undo a hub nut...[:s]

15. geany Forum Member

car boot sales top places got a snap on ratchets set with only one medium extension bar missing for 20 which i would say is a real bargain was some guy finished an apprenticeship then decided to go in to IT was selling all his tools off i only had 30 on me thou. word to the wise always take a good 50 to a good car boot.

Also have some halfords profession torx keys (star keys) which i cant fault really and they got some abuse when switching my gfs interior in her corsa and all the blots where stuck good with that threadlock stuff.

16. Mike_H Forum Addict