Best SLR

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by G60KG, Jul 11, 2011.

1. manxone Paid Member Paid Member

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

thanks, been trying to use it on full manual but still not 100% on how to decide on f-stops etc a lot to take in [8-}]

3. richwig83 Forum Member

Don't use it on M to start with... learn the Av and Tv setting and get to grips with them first!

4. morallye Forum Member

I think asking for the best SLR is a bit far fetched. The best SLRs are from Hasselblad, Mamiya and Leica if you ask me but none of these in any jape or form would be useful if you're moving from a point & shoot.

You need to figure out what you're going to shoot and then make your lens choice accordingly.
    I'd suggest a 50mm f1.8 instead of a zoom lens. Honestly this would serve you better to start with.
    If you can stomach spending another 350-400 get an EF 70-200mm f4L USM. this is a superb tele photo zoom lens.

I started with Samsung/Pentax, moved on to Nikon and then Canon.
    One word of warning though, getting into photography is like modifying cars, or a can of pringles for that matter, once you start you can't stop! :p

I'd start using the camera on P mode though until you get the hand of what aperture stop and shutter would make a good exposure combination :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I skipped over this link and only saw it today, its very detailed. On page 18 it shows the difference in detail between raw and jpeg so I need to become familiar with the sftware too as I haven't even opened the discs. What is the best format to convert to from Raw?

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

50mm, absolutely, but the USM 70-200s are a bit heftily priced for a beginner, and there`s a danger of falling into the `all the gear, no idea` brigade. :lol:

My Canon came as a package with 70-300mm f5.6 Tamron tele-macro. Plenty capable for learning the ropes and can be picked up for ~100.

Once happy that photography is actually your thing, and are confident in what you are doing, then get yourself the all-singing, all-dancing L-series lenses. ;)

7. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

x2.

And I do a lot of people photography. Sometimes however, M is whats needed!

8. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I was watching this on ebay and it went for a very cheap price.

Canon 1Ds Mkii

Not bad for a full frame camera and 17MP

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I want a 28-300 L series lens and a 400mm L series lens......badly. :(

10. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

What lens are you thinking [:D]

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Nothing really. I just cant afford any. In fact, im so disappointed with the rubbish glass ive got at the moment, i might just flog the D-SLR again, as i cant afford to invest in the hobby at the moment. I need all my spare cash for other things, like saving for a house. :(