best speaker upgrade for mk2 dash??

Discussion in 'ICE' started by wcrado, May 8, 2007.

1. wcrado Forum Member

Hi, having done the whole 'stealth shelf' crap, with the 6x9s in the rear, i decided it was totally impractiacal for a guy that never turns his stereo over half volume. So i'm using O.E size replacement speakers to go in the original mounting points instead. Got some decent 6x4's for the rear shelves, was wondering what the best option is for the dash speakers?

I know they are 3.5", but was worried some speakers might have clearance issues with the windscreen! Have seen loads on ebay, up to 300watt!!! but the magnet was huge, and i can't imagine it would shallow enough for the hole. have seen JBL, PYLE, JL audio, a weird brand called VONHAGELEN or summin.

anyone have any good advice? I want a decent sound, but first and foremost they must fit in the hole!

cheers

2. Gone Elvis New Member

I know it doesn't answer your question, but have you thought about getting components and fitting the mids (5.25") in the door pockets and the tweeters in the dash? You can get the grill replacements for not a lot of cash.

Dale

3. Aquablue Forum Member

I've got some Boston acoustics which sound really good and fit in. Had to cut out the middle of the dash tweeters and use that as a mount for the new tweeters as they were smaller. Think the components were about 140.

4. wcrado Forum Member

140? wow thats more than i wanted to spend!

yeah i thought about getting speaker grilles for door pockets and fitting the speakers in there, but i keep seeing the speaker grilles go for like 30 on ebay! so can't really be bothered with that. I'll just stick with the dash ones

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

waste of money buying just dash speakers...you should be able to find door bin grilles for cheap and then if money is tight just fit full range 13cm in the door, or try to stretch to comps if you can

6. Gone Elvis New Member

Have you tried VW for the grills, not sure if they still have them but worth a try?

7. Gone Elvis New Member

Just spoke to my local vw dealer, and the door pocket speaker grills are 9.64 plus VAT each, so i'd go with them and either fit some full range speakers or components if your budget can stretch to that.

8. c_a_r_t_e_r Forum Member

Yes, components all the way! They should also come with a bracket that looks a bit like --O-- to mount the tweeter in the original dash speaker mount.

I bought door speaker grills from VW, but don't forget to order the thin metal "nuts" for the rear - they're the same as the ones that hold the rear 6x4" speakers in place.

If you haven't got central locking or electric windows though, you'll also need the rubber bellows to run speaker wire into the door.

Tim

9. wcrado Forum Member

got c/l so i have the rubber bellows.

9.74 plus vat each? why are people paying upto 30 on ebay? i've seen people ask at least 20 for a second hand set on here! i thought they must be obselete.

Good idea then, i think i'll go down this road. Don't know about getting components though, can't be arsed with tweeters to tell you the truth! would just like something that doesn't sound like pebbles in a baked bean can.

Cheers for the advice.

10. pigbladder Forum Addict

people charge that on ebay cus people are daft enough to pay it without checking the new price

decent 13cm in the doors will sound way nicer than dash speakers

try www.talkaudio.co.uk classifieds, you might pick up some decent 2nd hand speakers for cheap

11. Gone Elvis New Member

You would be suprised what you can get from vw, my local vw dealer also gives you a discount card if your car is over 5 years old! (can't remember if it is 5 or 10%, but it all helps)

12. G-Man Forum Junkie

Well in my mk2, i wanted a system in for a very cheap amount. To be fair the 10cm dash speakers despite giving a limited sound frequency range, were very clear and worked well with my 10'' kenwood sub.

In the end I found some mint JBL 10cm dash speakers for 20 on ebay, bought them....

Best thing....sold them 1 year later for 20.

If you go down the door bin route, i'd easily spend that extra 10 to get a set of components as the sound stage will be far better with the tweeters in the dash rather than in a co-axial in the footwell

Last edited: May 20, 2007
  13. BEN

Ben New Member

Alpine do the same size speakers as the original in-dash paper items for about 20 pounds per pair

SXE-0825S 3-1/2" (8.6cm) Coaxial 2-Way Speaker

60W Peak Power
    15W Nominal Power