Best track day app for iPhone?

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Adam_16v, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Adam_16v Forum Member

Hi all,

any recommendations? I've found a few but none have ratings.

I want to be sure I get the right one with my money.

Cheers

Ad

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm not up on all this, but racechrono is definitely free

3. Adam_16v Forum Member

Just looked that up and it's more like stop watch. Cheers anyway.

There are some that time your lap based on gps, measure g forces, power, 1/4 mile times, 0-60 etc......

Not necessary but look like a fun gadget. If no-one has tried them then maybe I'll get a review up?!

4. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Ive only played with a few non navigation GPS apps (e.g Speed Box, aSmHUDCamm et al) and found most to be nothing more than 'fun' apps. They add nothing really to my driving experience.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Try Rev2 Lite. It has GPS tracking and G-meter.

If you go for Rev2 (the full paid-for version) it has the ability (via the diagnostic port) to give you readings on various engine parameters.

Where you`d get the lead for this is anyone`s guess though...

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  6. Adam_16v Forum Member

I took a gamble with one called 'harrys lap timer' and it actually looks really good. Not overally priced for 3.49 when all this kit fitted to a car would normally cost a small fortune.

I'll have go in my car this weekend and put a review up for any fellow members interested.:)

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

:thumbup:

8. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Harrys was the one i was going to buy Adam. Looks like a very capable app. Shame there are no reviews but look forward to hearing how it goes.

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

I've got that one too. Really shoulf try to work out how to use it sometime.

10. Mikey C Forum Member

Racechrono is more than just a stopwatch. It has fantastic functionality. Last two trackdays i have timed and datalogged over 150 laps and it is as discrete as having a mobile in your pocket. I have been using a cheap bluetooth GPS receiver that allows logs at 1Hz (once a second). It interpolates though so lap/split times are accurate to more than a second. Just ordered a 5Hz (0.2s) one for 25 for greater accuracy [:D] It brings a whole new level of enjoyment to a trackday, being able to analyse why a good lap is a good lap and improving from there.

Heres a screen grab. comparing the speed around two laps. Yes i had to stop one one of the laps for a spinning VX220 in front of me :lol:

[​IMG]

and its so easy to make vids like this :thumbup: :

http://www.vimeo.com/7617672

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Nice vid. Do you have an external GPS Aerial. It looks like it's lost signal round the hairpin. I don't think you can actually get round there at 50+mph. I know I can't, anyway ;)

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Great feature - I didn't know you could do that!

Did you mix it in Moviemaker or another software?

It does 'feel' like it's over-reading in the slower corners, but then top speed seemed sensible as you approached the end of Mansfield Straight.

13. Mikey C Forum Member

It is less accurate when acceleration is greatest. So yes round corners it can be questionable sometimes, particularly when there is tree cover. Looking at other logs im down to 20-30mph round the hairpin, which is much more realistic!

The 5Hz GPS device should improve matters greatly for the real time data. But since the start finish line is at a point where the speed is reasonably constant, and the software interpolates lap times can be more accurate than the logging rate.

I used www.racerender.com software for the overlay. Really easy to use and the free version has just enough functionality to do the above. racechrono2avi makes the speedo overlay.

I wish i had OBDII, you can log all available engine data too if you do. All with a Nokia mobile, makes people who spend a fortune on DL1's look a bit silly!

Mike

14. James_mk2 Forum Member

Mike do you use this with an iphone or an ipod touch?
    Just bought a touch but they don't have a GPS so i was going to try and sync it with a bluetooth GPS receiver (little Holox one) is this how you've done it?
    Cheers,
    James