best type of water filter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DJ-Tater, Nov 21, 2021.

1. DJ-Tater New Member

what’s the best type of water filter to be using at home? our tap water is tasting funky. tastes like its loaded with chemicals and chlorine. i'd like to start filtering it for drinking water instead of relying on purchased bottled water.

there’s countertop filters, reverse osmosis filters, carbon filters, coconut shell filters. The list goes on….

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

We had an inline cartridge filter at work last place I was, but may also depend on what type of water and where you are in the country, for example Glastonbury had very hard water and scaled everything up, whereas now in Yorkshire its very soft.
    I work making bespoke kitchens and have never fitted one in the 2 years here, that's even with quooker taps and allsorts of odd things.

DJ-Tater likes this.
  3. DJ-Tater New Member

Our water supply is hard. Really hard. Difficult to work up a lather with soap.

Can't believe no one has asked you to fit a filter in two years. That's mad.

I'm leaning towards an under counter unit in the sink. Out of sight and out of mind.
    And maybe reverse osmosis for hard water.

Something like this: https://purewaterions.com/best-undersink-reverse-osmosis-water-filter

Any thoughts?

4. DJ-Tater New Member

I think the water hardness depends on the type of rock the water is passing through in the area. If it's rich in calcium/magnesium you are going to get hard water.

5. Corund New Member

For good reason, you first need to analyze the water, and then choose the type of filter. Usually a pre-filter is used to remove large impurities such as sand, rust or something else. Then a filtration system is made of 3-5 different filters for better cleaning.

6. stephen stanyer Forum Member

I use a britta Jug filter just for making drinks works well stopped kettle furing up and the taste is fine. problem with them is keeping it topped up. I read somewhere that drinking reverse osmosis water can upset your stomach don't know if that is correct though.