Big 20V N/A Engine

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by 13"rims, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 13"rims Forum Member

just thinking about what might be the best N/A you could build with VW parts (plus some nice goodies possibly from other companies)

Here's the concept:

Audi ALT Alloy block
    Audi BAM Big Port Head (VVT Removed/Gasflowed/Hot cams)
    83.5 pistons (1mm oversized)
    TDI 95.5mm crank/rods (lightened/balanced)
    Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa Throttle Bodies

Would hopefully make an all singing all dancing N/A motor, Hayabusa TB's for availability/price!

Then drop into a clean mk1 golf.

Any ideas what sort of power this would produce??

2. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

can the block take 83.5mm pistons? you would see the sunny side of 200bhp if you can sort the fuelling out, megasquirt or such control units.

3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Yeah but unless you are getting all those parts for free and you are engineering it yourself, It may be worth while geting a 2.0 16v motor and fettling that.

4. Dub Nutta Forum Member

ALT block
    VWM Head
    310 Deg cams
    1pc valves and all titanium valve gear
    Steel crank, rods
    13.5:1 with forged pistons
    Dry Sumped
    One off 4-2-1
    Jenvey SF boddies
    8 Injectors
    Pectel or Motec Management

If you want the Ultimate N/A 4 Pot VW lump that's prity much it IMO and should break the 300bhp barrier

5. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

^^^ Get Involved lad!!^^^^

6. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

I would ask the question why do you want NA power specifically ? unless you were racing in a restricted class, I cannot think why you would not put a turbo motor in, especially in a road car where torque is everything - it would cost you upwards of 5K to get this sorted whereas a 16V or 20V turbo can be had to 300hp / 300ftlb for maybe half that.

7. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

why 4-2-1 ?
    why 8-injector ?

even the works rally engines were no where near 300hp - 260-270 in reality - and these were screamers that needed 6 speed sequential boxes to get the benefit out of

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  8. ViCk Forum Member

Isnt the Audi BAM head small port ?

9. 13"rims Forum Member

I was just thinking out loud for fun thats all, but obviously I'd like such an engine! I'm just a fan of N/A screamers really! Like my own engine :lol: would just be nice to see/hear one and its different to all the 1.8T's out there. If I had the time and money I'd love to build one up with the help of some people in the know. Just an unrealistic pipedream that's all folks!

10. 16valver Forum Member

11. 13"rims Forum Member

yeah i'd had a good read through a lot of the 20v threads before I posted. I just like N/A motors really, dont get me wrong turbo's are cool too just I have a soft spot for revvy engines! I remember the Honda Civic Type R BTCC car had 270bhp from a 2.0 16V (no vtec, banned!) So a nice 2.1/2.2 20V should be able to at least match the civic if not encroach upon 300 horses

12. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

sorry to put a downer on things but you would not get anywhere near 300hp - this is the relm of very very serious engines, put together by people with vast experience and costing 10k+ and needing rebuilding every 1000 miles

one of the finest NA engines you can buy is a millington diamond - pukka purpose built race engine - 2.5L, 8000rpm, makes about 300hp, 15 grand I seem to recall

200hp....doable with what you are on about, 250hp maybe for a lot of wedge, 300hp......not unless you employ VW motorsport themselves or some other top race outfit like mountune / cosworth etc etc

13. 16valver Forum Member

[​IMG]

$2,599 so roughly 1,300.

14. ViCk Forum Member

See if you can get hold of one of those 2L 20v N/A engines and run it on K-JET or Carbs for a cheapish conversion. Short ratio box with a diff !

That would be brill !

15. Fenn Forum Member

good luck finding an ALT for under 1k, i was looking for a while before i found an S3 engine for less!

16. Dub Nutta Forum Member

The 16v Audi Touring car engines from the Belia days were 300bhp tho wern't they?

I was under the impression running 8 injectors gives you gains in midrange torque on a 10,000RPM engine as the gas velocity is to slow to make proper use of the outermost inejctors.

I was talking about a truly ultimate VW 4 pot where you would throw the pistons, rods and crank in the bin and have a one off narrow journal crank made with piston deck heights, rod lengths and crank stroke designed to give optium performance and allow the engine to spin up to 10k rev limit.

17. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

300hp...well maybe once for about 30 mins, with a 1000rpm powerband, not something you would want in a road car or even a track car without a mega close ratio sequential box (huge money) and a national champion driving

lets get a grip eh lads....

there's only a handful of people in this country with much over 200hp from a NA VAG motor never mind 250 or 300 ffs.

18. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

does'nt look much different from an AGU/ADR/AEB head
    valves etc as used on many tuned 1.8T versions... as they are "fragile" when pushed hard on revs

19. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

go and get a honda K20 or even better F20c.

I intend to put one in a MK1 eventually.

Lee

20. 16valver Forum Member

Btw, I leafed through a Golf+ or PVW (can't remember) this evening, and in next months issue there is a green mk1 track car with a Vtec in it...