Big bumpers a mod?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Welshhippy, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Welshhippy Forum Member

Its insurance time and would anybody happen to know if the big bumpers/colour coded on my mk2 golf are classed as a modification? Did they come out the factory like that or has somebody installed it at a later date?
    Also, i've just put an eyebrow light spoiler thing on aswell. Does this count as a bodykit?
    Just want to make sure that all the details are right for my policy because a mate from work put alloys on his motor without telling the insurers and they didn't pay him a penny when some scum nicked and made a bonfire out of it.

2. green with envy Forum Member

hi.

If you add / remove any part of of a car from the factory spec for model year / build then it is a mod. Insurance is a dodgy playground. You could have a fault accident and write the car off and they would not pay out as you did not declare a 15 Grille spoiler....Just make sure they are aware of everything you do.

3. Claypole Forum Junkie

So if I buy a second hand car how do you know what has been altered from the original spec without having it? And what sort of stuff do the ins co. want to know about.

This applies to me as there's a lot of stuff been changed over the 25 years...

4. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

I think it depends alot on the insurance company. I was with CIS, had a golf modded with big bumpers, new grill, new alloys, new interior, few other bits and bobs and a k&n air filter, they just told me to total up the approximate value of the car for them, didn't ask about individual things. When the car was written off they asked me again how much it was worth, went and had a quick look at it and agreed to try and settle the full amount which I'd estimated it at. They then made the claim off the other persons company and I got the full pay out, despite having done other mods to the car since taking out the policy and not telling them about it.

5. superden Forum Addict

I always admit everything.

Its not worth guessing in the long run when they refuse to pay out because you have a different bumper or something.

6. ValverPaul Forum Member

I declare everything aswell!! I'm with Brentacre so it does'nt really matter as I can mod the car as much as I want, just not the engine!! ;)

7. superden Forum Addict

Same here, HIC are ok with any aesthetic mod.

I can go up to 10bhp (altogether now ... ooooh :lol: ) over the standard spec before I have to declare engine mods.

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I'm with Liverpool Victoria. When I reinsured last month, I declared my modest mods (alloys/clusters/K&N/s-steel exhaust/spoiler) and they charged me an extra 14.99 on top. They don't do an agreed value, but said they would take into account declared mods when valueing the car in the event of a claim.

As said above, declare them, or risk getting nothing if you needed to claim.

9. green with envy Forum Member

There is a lot of info on the web as to what specs cars should be by age / model. check this info out, then see what yours have that may be different, then you can build up info on what is should and should not have.

10. Steve B Forum Junkie

big bumpers on a mk2 golf should only be found on g reg or older golfs you may find them on late f reg im not sure but if it is a reg up to e / f reg and it has big bumpers then they will have been fitted by someone and not the factory

11. Pike Forum Member

Same here, they are an excellent company, I was with Greenlight last year but they're not a patch on Brentacre!!!! [:D]

12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Made no difference with insurance on my mk2 and made it look about 100000 times better!