big problem with cam cover

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Dan the Gti Man, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Dan the Gti Man New Member

i have recently started stripping my mark 2 golf 1.3 only to suffer a slight set back, on unscrewing the cam cover i broke one of the srews in half, so basically thread is still inside the engine itself, not loose but ctually fastend.

any ideas on how i cn get it out?

2. danster Forum Addict

Is it the hydraulic tappet type engine? IE the cam cover has three 10mm headed bolts holding it down.
    If so you can remove the offending cam bearing and carefully work on getting the broken threaded section out. It should not be tight so possibly drilling a small hole in the top of the broken piece and use of an easy out should make removal of the bit possible.

3. Dan the Gti Man New Member

no luck

yh i too the cam bearing off but the broken section was nut budging so now im looking for a new cam bearing with the bolt aswell. i dnt suppose you know anyone or anywhere do you?

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

IIRC cam bearings caps are matched to the head and line bored during manufacturer, so replacing one isn't just a case of finding another - often shafted caps mean the head is scrap.

As Dan says try using and Easy out / stud extractor.. worst case scenario if you wreck the thread you'll have to get the hole helicoiled, which will still be a lot easier than trying to replace the bearing cap :thumbup:

5. Dan the Gti Man New Member

this is the part am looking for guys[​IMG]

6. Dan the Gti Man New Member

hey this is the part am lookin for guys

[​IMG]

7. Dan the Gti Man New Member

8. Dan the Gti Man New Member

IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s135/dan_andrews777/IMG00005-20100730-1612.jpg[/IMG]

9. Dan the Gti Man New Member