Bilstein B4 with Eibach pro???

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Cosmic slop, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Hi all,
    After some opinions please. I’m still messing with my suspension set up, trying to get things nice for a daily driving Mk3 2.0 8v. The coilovers are just too harsh and have got to go and are being replaced with some Bilstein B4’s. The question is are these ok with a set of 30mm Eibach pro or should I stick with the standard springs? If the Eibachs are suitable, do I need to cut down the bump stops? I’m kind of keen on having a fairly comfortable ride but getting rid of some of the wheel arch gap!
    Any advice or experience of this set up would be appreciated.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I have that in my mk2, doing it again I'd fit better dampers, B4 are really just oe replacement. B8 would be better for spirited use .

3. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks Tristan,
    I’ve already got the B4’s, so it’s now deciding on which springs to use (I have standard and Eibachs here) I need to know if I’m going to create a crap ride with eibachs on standard type shocks or if it’ll be ok and comfortable enough.

4. Tristan

I couldn't fault the Eibachs , have them on 4 mk2s now

5. Cosmic slop Forum Member

In that case I’ll give them a go. Do you think I need to cut down the bumpstops at all?

6. Tristan

I wouldn't, as you can still easily trim them in place. If needed .

Cosmic slop likes this.
  7. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

I have got eibachs and b4s in my mk2 valver and very pleased with them. They crash a bit if you catch a pothole, but standard spring did anyway. I haven't trimmed the bump stops, don't thing there is any need as the eibachs are rising rate.

Cosmic slop likes this.
  8. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks guys, I’ll start building them up them and see how it goes. Do you find them comfortable enough for a daily driver?

9. Tristan

Most definitely , as do the people I fitted them for .

10. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks for your help on this. One more question for you before I leave you alone (until the next time!) I built up the units this afternoon but on the front you can still move the spring a with it all tightened up. No movement up or down, but some side to side movement. Is this right?

11. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Just had mine apart on Saturday to change top mounts, but can't remember, definitely no play up and down. As long as you have it all in the right order, it will be ok, there is an exploded view diagram on vw heritage site you can look at. It helped me when I changed from coilovers, and had to buy all the bits from scratch.

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

without any weight on them most lowering springs aren't under a lot of load if any, this is why you can easily build them up without a set of spring compressors. once fitted to the car they wont be going anywhere, all you need to make sure of is the springs are butted up to the stops in the shock housing and upper spring cap

13. Cosmic slop Forum Member

Thanks. Yep, definitely got everything in the right order and it looks like the spring is up against the stop on the shock but there is no stop in the upper spring cap. I’ll hopefully get them on the car tomorrow and can’t wait to drive her without the spine shattering hardness! Thanks again for your help and advice.

upload_2019-4-15_16-36-19.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-15_16-36-52.jpeg

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah you have the later MK3 type setup then, no stops up top on those :)

15. Cosmic slop Forum Member

All sorted. Feels a thousand times better! Just need to get the geometry set up and I’m happy. Thanks for all your advice.