Bizzare dash noise

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by 66dub, Dec 20, 2009.

1. 66dub Forum Member

lately when out in my mk2 abf its makes a crazy noise, this noise is the same as when a leaf gets stuck in the air vents ( i remember an old Granada in the family that this happened to and what a racket when the blowers were on).

it seems to do it if i give it some acceleration normally when i boot it on the bypass but i noticed it did it today doing 40 ish in like 4th or 5th (due to bad weather) theres a good 4 inches of snow where ive been and i did sit in the car and warm it up before driving it.

if i turn the heaters off its still there if i shut the warm vents off its still there.

im concerned that its the oil buzzer but either not getting a good enough signal to make it sound as it should or its chuffed it seems to be comming from the drivers dash area.

water temps are as normal so is oil temps

any ideas?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be the speedo or the cable, pop it off and put a bit of white grease in there

3. 66dub Forum Member

cheers jonny i think it could be the oil pressure warning buzzer, if i hit the dash it goes away and it doesnt seem to be at a certain speed more the revs

4. Mat-R Forum Member

Check your headlight switch for play. I know it sounds mental but mine does it from time to time.

5. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

The oil buzzer usually comes with a flashing light on the dash too, should be pretty obvious if it's an electric buzzer you can hear...
    If it only starts going off above 2000ish revs then it's probably the sender/wiring at fault.

Otherwise I'd be looking at the speedo cable as John suggested :)

6. 66dub Forum Member

will deffinitly grease the speedo cable, but it only goes off at like 3000+ revs and sometimes doesnt go ooff at all can go right up to like 7kish and other times crusing on the motor way it will come on at 3k or 4k its never a set pattern.

What do you mean play on headlight switch? i have a spare one so i will swop them over.

just a bit concerned as my first golf i bought had exactly the same issue but it was the oil pressure buzzer (obvious buzzer noise) the fella told me it was a loose earth connection on the clocks (i knew nothing about golfs at the time so believed him) turned out head gasket had gone.

this is identical in terms of its spontanious occurance and whack the dash to get rid of it, but it doesnt sound like the buzzer (possably the buzzer is on its way out?)

so is there a way i can check for example ground the oil pressure sender cable?

if i can get an idea of what could cause the the fault the buzzer ill do the speedo cable headlight switch and buzzer repairs all at the same time then hopefully that will cover it and i only need to take clocks out once.

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

The 2 wires that go to the senders on top of the oil filter housing - earth them :)

8. 66dub Forum Member

cool cheers will have a mess about with them see what i can come up with. my dash switch plugs are short so getting the clock out is even more of a nightmare than usual hence the reasoning for only wanting to be doing it the one time:lol:

9. 66dub Forum Member

ok quick update i tried earthing both the cables that go to the senders on the top of the oil filter housing and the pressure switch on the side of the head(allthough i think this could be for coolant? not sure) and nothing happened ( i had ignition on but not engine running) been looking over this site:

http://bangernomics.tripod.com/vwpanel.htm

it has made no difference

i should also say that the oil light has never come on only the sound of possibly a nackerd buzzer.

like i said trying to put off taking clocks out till i know the problems in there as its a right pain as my loom is a bit short, but when i do
    the speedo cable will be greased and the headlight switch will be swopped as i have a spare.

so if all else fails then these will be done as it must be one of them. on the oil filter housing i have three senders (its an ABF late 95 engine)

the mk 2 haynes doesnt have much to say other than labeling the senders then consulting dealer. and i cant find my mk3 haynes.

10. 66dub Forum Member

just tried earthing them all again but with engine running not one of them lit an led or sounded the buzzer. http://www.justanswer.com/questions/19vjn-vw-golf-mk2-oil-pressure-lamp-buzzer-comes-on

this site mentions a relay issue? not heard of the relay before does anyone know which one it is haynes doesn't list it.

EDIT: also on a unrelated topic the heatsheild above the exhaust the aluminum one with the take of for airbox warm up, do i need this? will it make the engine bay stupidly hot if not present? just mine decided to snap all its mounting lugs the other day

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  11. rubjonny

pretty sure he is refering to coolant level control relay, no such thing as oil buzzer relay.

quick & dirty test, unplug your clocks and drive it. if noise goes, its buzzer, if not it isnt! if you take dash under tray off you can get to the clock plugs. dont drive it too far as the alternator wont be triggered though

12. 66dub Forum Member

good idea i might do that but with the sensors unplugged that would give the same effect wouldn't, just it normally doesn't arise untill i get onto a bypass or somewhere where it gets up the rev range for a more than a couple of seconds found the white collard sensor i had in was actually a 1.6-0.2 bar(possibly air cooled sensor) instead of the 1.-0.2 bar so i swapped it for a spare one i had

13. rubjonny

white sensor should be 1.8bar, blue is 0.3bar. im thinking dash unplugged as that would rule out any faults with it, just as i say watch out driving it for too long it might drain the battery :)

14. 66dub Forum Member

right i think i have got rid of it. after the sensor change and then i made sure correct colours went to the correct sensor and fingers crossed so far it hasn't made a peep!

cheers everyone

15. Admin Guest

If the speedo needle shakes when the noise is being made it wil point to the speedo.

I had an old mk1 do that to me in a car park, just pulling away and the needle went mental then gave up as the speedo cable died.