- Bizzare Fault.

Discussion in 'Engines' started by GT-Dub, Apr 24, 2004.

1. GT-Dub Forum Member

Hey ho, I've just replaced my Oil preasure switch (the on on the right hand side of the block) and changed the oil. Now the oil light keeps flashing at me and the oil temp (on the mfa) jumps from 50 to 56 then shows three lines.

The dipstick is showing as full, and there isnt any more leaks i can see, it hasnt lost any oil either.

Has this happend to anybody else?

The car's a 1989 Golf Gti 8v

2. octane Forum Junkie

the oil pump may not of primed, meaning you have no pressure at the top end, this sometimes happens when you do oil changes, happened to me last time, one or 2 on here say rev the car and it will pick up [:s] or over fill the oil it will pick up then, let some out till its right.

3. md8v Forum Member

had a similar problem when i changed my pressure switch. turned out to be the wrong rating on the switch. they're colour coded apparently and you need a 0.3 bar one for the head, blue or brown. i had put a black one on so the pressure never got enough to stop the light flashing. the pressure rating is stamped on the inside of the switch, near the thread.

4. The Other Simon Forum Member

There are in fact four types:

brown (replaced by blue)
    grey
    black
    white

And they all have different pressures. The ECP or GSF catalogues will tell you which one is which. VW stopped using the brown colour code since it looked too much like a dirty white one.

Simon

5. GT-Dub Forum Member

umm mine used to be a black one, But i replaced it with a white one. That will be the problem then.

Funny as the white one was exaclty the same as the one i removed, only different colour.