Black or Oak Green Mk2 Golf GTI in Dunkerque

Discussion in 'Spotted' started by duzzied, Sep 16, 2008.

1. duzzied New Member

Spotted just outside Dunkerque ferry port on friday the 12th September , just thought I'd say hi.

Duzzied.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Hi!

Could of been me in my Oak Green J plate ? Around 10ish ? Lady driving guy in passenger seat like you ? On our way to Belgium - you the one in the 5dr ? We waved to you both....how was your trip?

DOD

3. lairy_1

lairy_1 CGTI Regional Host

Hi! I was in the passenger seat. We caught the 10am ferry from Dover, so would have been 11am in Dunkerque.

We were on our way to the Big Pipes meet near Antwerp!

Matt

4. duzzied New Member

Thats sounds right, we were in the Jade Green 5 Dr, girlfriend in passenger seat me driving. This might sound weird I think we sat next to you on the 4 o clock boat home.
    We were on route to Holland, the trip was really good apart from a gearbox problem that developed in the Antwerp traffic but the trusty golf got us home, just need to fix it now.
    How was the meet?

Duzzied.

5. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah we got held up in the ring traffic too, luckily no issues, sorry to hear about your 'box but good old Golf surviving the trip :clap: big job to fix it up now?
    :lol: sat next to us on the ferry! [:$] You probably heard us then rattling on about various things and doing a write up then haha meet was ace, good turn up of both water and air cooled and weekend with the gang was ace too, definately doing the trip again next year!
    How was your Holland trip ?

DOD

6. duzzied New Member

Hopefully the box will be a small fix but we'll soon find out.
    The Holland trip was really good, I'm sure we'll be doing it again sometime.
    I didn't hear you guys at all we were to busy people watching the people in front and on the other side of us which were quite amuzing.
    Your car looks pretty sweet have you had it long?

7. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Finger crossed then it's not too much of a job for you...
    How could you not go back to Holland haha
    Trying to think who else was there, I know we moved seats about 3 times before I went on a mission of writing up our 'report' from the w/e, sad I know, but got to give a write up of it and it was our first meet there haha.
    Thanks, yours looked tidy too! I've had him for 2 and abit years, comtemplating putting him up for sale next year too...but can't decide.

8. duzzied New Member

It's not in bad nick just a few niggly bits, need to get a dent in the front wing fixed so if the gearbox needs an overhaul, will probably be replacing the car [:^(]
    So we're possibly in the market for a new one, not sure whether to get another MK2 or go slightly newer and get a MK3, uhm decisions.

9. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

oh dear [:^(] sad indeed! Hopefully then it's not too serious and you won't need to go down that road....although I'm sure someone would buy it off you. Well if I do sell mine it probably won't be at the moment....hmmm...mine's only a 3dr as you saw, but he has lots of miles on the clock too but box has been recon'd prior to me owning him...think I'd stick to another mk2 - would love a mk1 but need something as a daily and not too costly, not that mine is! Mine needs abit of tlc on the body work, a few blisters beginning to appear in not the best of places either [:^(] filler cap area being probably the worse, gutted!!!!

10. duzzied New Member

Well you never know but I guess thats the fun of owning a 20 year old car.
    I'd love a mk1, either a mars red tin top or black drop top, I'm trying to find one with the same birthday as mine, the last one I found was was a bit pricey for the condition but one day.
    I didn't really want a 5 dr but it was a good price and in good nick, the rust is minor on it, now I've had the boot lid done.
    Lots of miles isn't a bad thing, especially if it's been looked after, might just get the gearbox and dent sorted & slowly restore the car but we'll see.

11. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

True, there's always something to be done on them even if it's just the odd tinker here and there.
    Yeah I'd love a mk1 that's the same year as my birthday too, yeah mars red or black got a thing for silver too but something different would be nice - a project car is what I'd really want but funds and space prevent me from living that one [:^(] plus they're going up in value too so it's even harder for me to afford one too...
    Yeah if I could I'd keep mine and get him fixed up over time but shall see what the future holds...

12. duzzied New Member

I'm not on about just my birth year, I'm after one with the same registration date as my birthday, ie 08/05/84, hence the difficult search.
    The lack of space is another problem, I don't have garage or driveway and my mums garage is full of god knows what. I'd love a resto project, maybe when we move.
    Are you of to any shows soon, we're of to Ultra VW mags show in Reading at the weekend which should be cool, lots of old school Bugs and Campers, trying to tempt me to buy them.

13. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

Oh I see! Sorry. Yeah tough search indeed then, you should of haggled with the one you found, if you could of and been prepared for working on it....
    Need to win the lotto (as with everyone else!) then buy a unit nearby and store cars in there as well as rent it so I could afford to keep it...
    No shows any time soon most of them are almost over now, well the more local ones, just attend regional meets, Reading is a bit far for me...haha, you just got to love the old skool air cooled :)

14. duzzied New Member

I was thinking oh haggling but, I don't have any where to store it.
    As much as I love the golfs, I'd love a Beetle or Split Screen Camper, like you said, I need to win the lotto and buy a house with a big garage to store all the VW's. Did you watch Fifth gear last night, that golf looked wicked.

15. D.O.D Paid Member Paid Member

That's my dream (aswell!) have a nice pad in the middle of no where with plenty of land and in the garage a nice mk1 and some other good looking motors.....yeah a Beetle or Splitty would be lush....ah we all have dreams.
    I'm still on pre-historic tv (none digi yet!!) [:$] and where I am it's got crap reception for channel 5 annoyingly!! SO don't tend to watch it, but being a Golf, I'm sure it looked nice!