blanking plate

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by coupechamp, Aug 1, 2023.

1. coupechamp Forum Member

Hi all, it's been a while. Polo stopped racing a few years back but we had plans to turn it into a track toy for me and my now driving boys. So going over things, re-freshing areas etc. Couple of things, when we changed from the Normally aspirated 2.0 Ltr (non turbo) engine to the 1.8T it was much better but always seemed to run hot. We put up with it, but now it would be ideal to get to the bottom of it. I am convinced a coolant hose is rooted wrong or missing. My question is on the current installed ARY engine I have a blanking plate yet on the spare AGU I don't see anything to blank off. See pics. Before I take the plate off, is there a difference between the two. It was a race car so ran without any heater matrix etc.
    blank.jpg blank2.jpg blank3.jpg blank4.jpg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is that plate blocking off the side hole completly? probably as you say to blank off the matrix, get shot of it I'd say

3. coupechamp Forum Member

the blanking plate i put on and cant think why i would put it on if there was no hole there, so guessing there is a hole on this head compared to the spare AGU engine, does anyone have a photo or drawing of the end of the head? I can take the plate off if i have too but means taking other pipes off. I am still convinced these hoses are wrong.lol

4. rubjonny

Aaahh, sorry. I thought you meant the coolant hose hole on the side :lol: the extra hole you have blanked off is for the sai system which earlier heads don't have a hole for

5. rubjonny

6. coupechamp Forum Member

brilliant as ever rubjonny, so no coolant behind that plate then! I will at some point work out the flow and see if there is actually something not right. thanks