Bled coolant - Heater wont work

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by George HH, Nov 3, 2003.

1. George HH Forum Member

Changed thermostat on saturday to find that the 8v's cool running was due to someone not refitting the stat, warms up nice and quick now! anyway......i assume that i have air in the heater matrix causing the loss of heat, any tips on getting it out - i have tried squeezing all of my hoses etc.. thinking of using the garden hose to get rid of it hopefully. need heat! [:s]

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

i run mine with no cap until the fan comes on..squeezing the hoses while i wait,once the fan works shut it down and wait till its cooled then top up and replace the cap

3. dingo New Member

I'm having problems with my heater (no heat). I'm changing the thermostat soon to see if that solves the problem. If that doesnt work I think that it could be a blocked heater matrix. The inlet and outlet pipe from the heater both feel hot to the touch. What is the best way of flushing it out? I've heard somewhere that you can use vinegar and a hose pipe, is this true? [:s]

4. Joggie New Member

I have heard then when you have drained the rad. fluid you need 2 turn the heater to full heat if you refill it , that way you stop air being trapped in the heater matrix.

5. George HH Forum Member

yep i did the same pigbladder, i also had the heater switched onto hot and full power at the same time. still no luck though, going to try to flush through the matrix sometime this week.
    Edited by: George HH

6. speedy1 Forum Member

Ive heard you can "loosen" the top hose jubilee clip, air will always go to the highest point (put your gloves on though ;) ). George HH i like you wheels mate, what are they?

7. George HH Forum Member

i searched the net last night at work and on a lot of other cars its quite common to get an airlock at the top of the matrix, i'm gonna also check that the bypass valves are working as these are easier to check and replace. Waiting for some good weather to take the afternoon of to do it in daylight.

the wheels are le castellet standard campaign fitment alloys, i like em but they could do with a refurb and maybe a polish [:D]

8. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Your lack of heat is probably due to a faulty set of bypass valves in the pipes between the engind and bulk head.

You only need to set the heaters to hot on MK1s, the coolant is always flowing round the matrix on MK2s so it doesn't matter where you set it on them.

9. George HH Forum Member

sorted it this afternoon, bypass valve was stuck, drilled a hole in it for now, will go scrap yard raiding this weekend - as my local vw want 20 odd for one!

cheers all, nice and hot now [:D]

10. alby Forum Junkie

my bypass valve was knackered too.nice and warm now tho

11. dingo New Member

I have checked everything apart from bypass valves. Changed stat,bled system. Still no joy. Will check the bypass valves tomorrow. Pain in the ass changing the stat on mine as I have power steering and you have to take the bloody power steering pump off to get at the thermostat!

12. NutterKam Forum Member

After doing various things requiring refill of the coolant I've become fed up at spending ages trying to get air locks out the coolant system. Despite all the hose squeezing etc there's almost always a remaining pocket of air which has an annoying tendency to manifest itself as a cold heater on the coldest nights! After doing this several times I've noticed that each successful attempt at unblocking always involves removing the return hose from the heater matrix. I reckon it would probably be beneficial to splice a central heating bleed valve into that hose to make getting air locks out much easier. Anyone concur?