Bleeding Brakes

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by GTi69, Jan 18, 2004.

1. GTi69 Forum Member

I fitted some G60 brakes to my 91 8v Golf today and bled them thoroughly. I still get a spongy brake pedal, i have bled them about 4 times and still no luck, is there a special way to bleed brakes on a golf?

The car does have the 22mm M.C. so i know it's not because of the M.C.

Thanks Guys

2. destructiv dave Forum Member

I take it that you bled it in order furthest to closest. GVK mentioned something recently about pushing the brake bias valve all the way back or else you wont get it rock hard.

The other possibility is that you let the level get too low in the resevoir when you were bleeding and this has knackered the seals in the MC letting in tiny bubbles. [:^(]

3. GTi69 Forum Member

I did it in the order you mention, and i pushed the valve all the way back too. The brake fluid level was topped up and i kept a close eye on it.

The only thing i can think of then is a knackered M.C. I don't know how old it is because it came as part of my 16v brake upgrade.

4. damogti Forum Junkie

so it was a 2nd hand m/c that you fitted??

5. GTi69 Forum Member

Yes, i know i should have fitted a new one but i was told it worked fine from somebody i trust. It worked absolutely fine until i bled the brakes this time around.

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Apparently if you push the brake pedal down further than it normally travels you can f**k the m/c if it`s old, mines been ok for 2 bleeds but other people have had problems..

7. GTi69 Forum Member

I will go and buy a new one just in case, no point skimping on the brakes! [8(]

8. Jettin' Forum Member

Good idea

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Can you bleed the master cylinder?

I've just fitted new discs, pads & replaced the fluid on my 16v but I can't get the pedal rock hard either. It's not bad, going to let it all bed in for a while then bleed it again. :)

10. oak8vgti Forum Member

If you have fitted new discs and pads you won't always get a hard pedal straight away they will feel spongy till brakes r bed in, to bed the brakes in i found the best way to do it on merc's was to drive down the road left foot on brake right on accelerator, and press on and off on and off for a while and make sure its on an open road that is empty(dont want to cause accidents), this solved the problem 9/10 times. u will fell the brakes getting firmer each time. I know it sounds silly but i used this method for 8 years and it worked for me and never got complaints of customers.
    Edited by: oak8vgti

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers for the info - I have been doing something similar, left foot braking a bit on empty roads. The brakes are getting better, hopefully once they are bedded in they'll be much better though! [:D]

12. damogti Forum Junkie

As has been suggested, i would try a new m/c. The seals become weak after a while so it doesnt take much to damage them though bleeding the system.

13. GTi69 Forum Member

I fetched one yesterday, having it fitted on Sat.

Thanks for the info guys.

14. damogti Forum Junkie

good luck with it mate:)

15. Mikey Forum Member

Would it be worth making a pressure bleeder like this before I try to change the fluid in my Mk2?
    DIY Brake pressure bleeder

Is this the same principle as the ones garages use? Seems pretty simple to make & all I'll need to get is an old resevoir cap from the scrappy.

Mike

16. wussel Forum Member

So the new calipers fitted under the 15's, I really hoped that they would. I suppose when the brakes are bled, it is on with the next mod, good luck.

17. hi tower Forum Member

you could buy youself a gunson easibleed for about 15 which is a similar thing but runs off pressure from your spare tyre.

18. Golden Forum Junkie

Absolutely correct Keith, the reason for this is that you can get a build up of crud or a wear lip inside the cylinder at the end of its normal travel. When you bleed the brakes if you allow the pedal to travel further than normal, this lip rips the seal and buggers the cylinder.

19. Tanner Forum Member

is it possible to have an mc leak internally but not lose any fluid from the system?

when I had a spongy pedal, guy at an exhaust place said that it was possible to damage internal seals so that the pedal travel was elongated but still not cause the mc to leak.

is that possible? cos he offered to sell me an mc straight afterwards....

20. Golden Forum Junkie

Yes it is as the cylinder is split in to two chambers, so the forward seal can go and leak fluid through to the rear section but you wont actually loose any fluid.