blue smoke/fumes in the car

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by ugy 76, Oct 14, 2010.

1. ugy 76 New Member

Hi all
    i bought my self a mk2 gti 16v with 180k on the clock a couple of months ago with the intention of using it as a weekend toy, the bodywork is mint its been resprayed but ive had this horrible exhaust smell in the car everytime i open a window, at first i thought it could be all the old oil on the engine coz when i bought it the sump was perferated and the cam cover gasket had gone, all that has been fixed and steam cleaned to get rid of all the oil, but the smell kept coming back, so underneath i went and found a tiny hole in the backbox, i was told that the car was drawing in the fumes as i drove along and thats what was making me feel sick[xx(], i was also told that if it was running to rich or lean that could cause it, so today its been to my local fuel inj centre, they set it up corectly but now i get blue smoke out the back[:x] any ideas to any of the above? cheers
    ugy

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

well blue smoke means burning oil,which on a 16v thats done 180k is about right,but you say exhaust smell in the car when widow down,id check the breather pipe,it runs from the center of the front of the engine block to the air filter box,these perish or break down after a time and send unburnt gasses into the engine bay then into the car,usually caused by blow by,which is worn piston rings

3. ugy 76 New Member

cheers for that i will have a look around and see what i can see