Bluetooth OBD2 reader & smartphone app

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by lard44, Apr 18, 2013.

1. lard44 Forum Member

Not going to lie, for about 13 all in I'm having a punt at this...

Just ordered one of these...
    http://dx.com/p/obdii-bluetooth-car...dium=edm&utm_campaign=20130407car-accessories

And this gets very good reviews...
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm9yZy5wcm93bC50b3JxdWUiXQ..

Now I'm not even going to pretend that it'll be anything like as functional as VCDS - it's a generic fault code reader and a generic app - but the idea of logging data live to my phone via bluetooth just looks too easy and convenient to pass up. Suggestion is that you can check and clear fault codes too.

Has anyone else tried this combination yet? If not I'll report back my findings 'with 7 to 10 days'...:thumbup:

2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got an ELM327 bluetooth jibby jobby and a free app called Torque.

I've plugged it into my Galaxy and read the fault codes and also seen info like coolant temp etc....

Seems great for the money and it lives in the car in case the engine warning light ever comes on.

3. lard44 Forum Member

Yeah torque is the recommended app - there's a free version and the 'pro' is only 3. Can't see the harm in giving it a go if only to save dragging the laptop and USB out to the car. 21st century problems...

4. lard44 Forum Member

Well that was a long wait for a bloody poor resultlol

Finally got around to plugging the ELM 327 into the OBD2 port on the Corrado - the app talks to the adaptor fine, but I keep getting 'No response from ECU' on the phone - lots of little clicking noises from the dash, lights on the adaptor looking busy - but nothing.. It just loops testing the different protocols.

This is the free version - is it worth spending the 3 to get the 'full' version? Is there any likelihood that will have the right protocols?

The only options I have that I can actually play with are the 'faster communication', 'disable ELM 327 auto timing' and 'port' settings. Any thoughts?

5. dub303 Forum Member

I looked into this briefly but was told by people who had it that it doesn't work on older cars. I have a mk4 but its not worth it. Apparently if you live in the U S of A its a different story. Can't remember why, but something to do with the ECU.

Need a newer car... which is a bit more than a 3 upgrade!

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Did anyone ever have any success with this? Would love to get one of these to read the mind of my mk3 ABF...

7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I only ever used mine one in my missus's 2008 ford galaxy

8. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I've used Torque and a BT adaptor on my '08 Vectra, an '05 (probably?) Impreza, my hot Polish neighbours Merc A class, a Corsa and a few other cars. Worked absolutely fine in each case.

9. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I've heard it works great on other cars, but it seems from various googling, it doesn't work on a mk3 Golf, at least not in the UK. Americans have had some success with theirs though. Shame

Don't want to be paying out my bumhole for something I might only use once or twice a year, which is what Rosstech want you to do.

10. BURNI

BURNI Forum Member

Gaz37 brought one of these elm Bluetooth obd ii adaptor and torque app to a meet once.

It managed to read my mk6 golf and matts without any problem. Showed all the readings on mine and matts cars turbo boost ect...fault codes also even tho there wasn't any the option was there.

May just not beable to read the older ecus maybe?

Would have thought that's software related.

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

See my post in your other thread about your brakes :)

American mk3s had 'OBD2' compliant ECUs, which we never had.

These Bluetooth ELM327 things will only work (properly) on EOBD compliant petrol and diesels.

http://www.gendan.co.uk/article_23.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    BURNI likes this.