Bmw x5

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Gareth83, Jun 5, 2011.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Anything stickered up is going to attract attention, whether X5, Range Rover, or Mk2 Polo - get loads of vinyl on it and people will see it. Just depends on whether that's the "right" type of people.

2. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I will get an X5 lol, just holding out for the right one. In no rush at present

3. LregG

LregG Paid Member Paid Member

V8 X5's suffer with the occasional 'map cooling'.(device.that heats the water before the thermostat to open it when pulling off a motorway) melting requiring a wire repair, fuse and half of the thermostat housing.....bar that, the V8's are bullet proof.

Suspension wise, the air bags can tear with age and the brake reaction bushes are soft as butter....I'd recommend a four wheel alignment check if you change wheel/tyre size

Check wing mirrors for a solid fold in/out action as they are near on 500 a side if they are flopping about!!!

I've seen many converted to lpg and not one looked like time was spent under the bonnet.....my advice is to make sure the e box (waterproof box that contains the engine ecu etc) remains water tight after you've been there as I've seen ecu's swimming after lashman lpg conversions rendering the lpg saving null void

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  4. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

good points! My V70 has just developed a gearbox fault which may put any plans on hold at present.

5. aidanb22 Forum Member

Is the T5 a geartronic?

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

yes... fault code is P0716

7. aidanb22 Forum Member

-Gearbox input speed sensor (input shaft speed) (5) - Provides the gearbox control module (TCM) with information about the input shaft speed. This is measured on the turbine side of the torque converter

So I guess if you are very very lucky this sensor may be mounted on the outside of the bellhousing, but I suspect it would be more likely reading the input shaft into the gearbox inside the bellhousing.

I would invest in a proper volvo obd cable or workshop dvd if possible first though

8. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

would fluid change help?

9. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

Off topic but found out it is external:

[​IMG]

That'll save me a few quid then!!

10. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

fixed the fault, the sensor needed a clean! Winner

11. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

12. Admin Guest

13. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

reckon that's a good price?

any idea on owning one? I'm tempted but also have my eye out an a bargain Alpina B10....

14. Admin Guest

i don't know anything about them, other than they are awesome and i'd love one.

39k on the clock isn't bad either

15. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Ive been in a top of the range 4.6is which was a special edition I think. Lovely car to be in plenty of power lots of leccy things too. Nice touch is the rev gauge has glows red at the point you can rev the engine to when cold which slowly fades out as it becomes safe. Not sure if the specced up 'is' came in silver though as all I remember seeing them in is estoril blue.

EDIT: prefer a Range rover though not sure on used prices compared to the X5