Bosch ME sub systems quick look & remapping

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by RBPE, Mar 25, 2014.

1. RBPE Forum Member

A quick look at the variances within three Bosch ECU main sub systems, the VR6 12v , the later R32 ECU and the 7.5 ECU as found on 20vt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Few things to note:

LDR is a common abbreviation for Laderdruck (excuse the German spellings) within the ECU, LDR functions and as you can see from the list, are only found on the forced induction ECU's as they are for monitoring boost pressure functions and the subsequent calculations that need to be taken into account.

There are plenty of lambda monitoring functions in each of the ECU's due to legislations but as you can see there are more adaptive controls as the ECU's get newer, in this case the BFH functions of LANSWL and the various operating ranges of the engine itself.

NW is a common abbreviation for nokenwelle, or camshafts (and controls). These are also usually broken down further into E and A respectively.
    E is for referencing the inlet cam and A is for the exhaust cam.
    As an example above you can see that the R32 ecu has adaptive controls for both the inlet and exhaust cams, in this case referenced in the ecu as WNWRE and WNWRA respectively.

As you can also see on the charts this also relates to the setpoints and controls of the camshafts -NWSOLLE/NWSOLLA for example. If you look at this area you can see that the older 12v VR6 engines had more of a switch control, a rather basic system, then progression to more inlet cam control (as can be seen on the BAM engine and also earlier VR6 24V engines), before the BFH gets the full cam timing controls (as does later 24v VR engines like the BDE/BDF).

This is just a brief guide for those that wanted to know how their ecu's worked - there are huge variances between main ecu's for the most part (different manufacturers as opposed to the different 032 R32 ecu's for example) and they all interact with one another by referencing various different maps.

Example here is the boost v torque request of the ME7.5:

[​IMG]

Obviously you will not find boost controls on a naturally aspirated engine and as such, the ecu requests information from different sub-maps, you have the drivers torque requests (which is basically putting your foot down to whatever degree) then the ecu says "right, I need to look at this map, and this.....", but due to the main function differences I have listed above, it looks at different things. Above are only main maps though, there are variances within the sub-systems in each main area which again affect what tables the ecu is referencing but this is just a brief overview.
    I'll dig out the 20vt/R32T hybrid map I did to look at some of the differences within these sub-systems, spent 3 years on them though and lots of work but not enough hours in the day!

Quick-look
    [​IMG]

Hope this helps any interested in such things - :thumbup:

Reproduced for educational purposes under the Berne Convention

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  2. RBPE Forum Member

In terms of remapping - you are looking at anything from around 20 to 200 maps modified to suit in most conventional tunes.

Here we have the sub-map functions of a BFH R32 engine and a BAM 20vt engine and the differences within them;

[​IMG]

On the later VR6/R32 ECU's this also adds exhaust cam VVT/controls which are completely missing (unsurprisingly) on inlet only VVT ecu's like the BAM one above. However, these additional controls add more reference maps to the tune the ECU has to look up when drivers request something (i.e. putting your foot down), which also happens when you add boost to an NA OEM ECU.
    All of these are not on the BAM:
    NWSOLLA (NW-Nokenwellen or camshafts in German, SOLL-target, A is the postfix for exhaust cam, stands for Abgas unlike inlet cam which is E-Einlass, hence NWSOLLE and NWSOLLA):

[​IMG]

(sorry to those that notice I've grammatically translated some but straight forward translations in other parts - i.e. Some say cams, some say NW hence my quick German cam lesson showing they mean the same thing, also, moments means torque too).

Here's some more functions in your ecu and other similar:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps some people interested?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. RBPE Forum Member

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Most of that goes way over my head but it's very interesting to read and appreciated :thumbup:

RBPE likes this.
  5. RBPE Forum Member

Thanks.
    It's not too difficult, having the SSP's and learning the physics behind the diagrams at college years ago helped me though! I have just put up info on how the boost control works which should make all of the diagrams and that you see a bit easier to understand, the other systems working under similar principles.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?278408-Bosch-boost-control-explained&p=2395288#post2395288