Bought a Lupo 16v Sport... tuning?

Discussion in 'Fox/Lupo/Polo' started by Stu, Jul 19, 2005.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

Finally got around to getting my g/f a new daily driver, a 2000 Lupo 16v Sport. Must say I am very impressed with it so far from the limited distance I've driven it. For a 1400cc car it doesn't half fly, feels almost as quick as my Golf up to 5k rpm and handles like a go kart.

Got a couple of minor things to sort on it but overall a fantastic little car, very happy with it.

Has anyone else on here got one? What kind of potential does it have for tuning, not that I think my g/f needs any more power - she's been used to a Mk1 Polo 1.1 for a few years (now for sale sadly... [:^(] ).

Cheers

Stu

2. jbmg40 Forum Member

My girlfriend bought one recently... tuning-wise the engine does
    have potential, but I only know of the hard-core route of ITBs etc. I
    would imagine the usual exhaust/filter plus a re-map would help a
    little, but the real gains on that engine seem to come from real top
    end work and letting the revs scream up high where they like to [:D]

Sad the mk1 has to go, what kind of condition is it in?

Edited by: jbmg40

3. mk1Matt Forum Member

My Girlfriend has one - it's yellow so I don't drive it often ;)

Fantastic little car. Nicely revvy engine as well. In fact it's probably way quicker than my Mk3 8v cab. The only niggle is the short 5th gear. Could really do with a 6th.

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

See here... Click

Very good condition, little bit of rust on the rear arches that needs sorting but aside from that great - use it every day and it has lower mileage that the Lupo despite being 20 yrs it's senior! :p

Sad to see it go... if I had room I would keep it and maybe lower a little with some nice wider steel wheels.
    [​IMG]

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

:lol: The one we've got is a nice metallic green (Tafetta green?) so no problems there although I do feel a bit like I'm sat in the back with the drivers seat slid all the way back to suit my height! ;)

Jbmg - noted about the tuning, will probably leave well alone and keep it standard for the time being, hoping it'll be fairly economical for running around town etc.

Only faults on the car I need to sort are rear pads need changing and a rattle from centre section of exhaust, sounds like a heat shield or something?
    Edited by: Stu

6. EADubber Forum Member

hmmm my girlfriend just brought one too, am i sensing a pattern here :lol:i'm also occasionally allowed to drive it, black one with weird cat and dog style interior! - i'd say filter, possibly an exaust (though i quite like the oval std one) and a gentle suspension tweek. Tis a cracking drive though.

7. pettsy Forum Member