BOV on the new TDI

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by badboi1, Jul 2, 2007.

1. badboi1 Forum Member

Hey guys,

Now I know there are people out there who read the title, and went, ******. Its impossible to have a BOV on a TDI. I am not looking to put one, just for the record.

My question is this, does the new 170bhp passat tdi have one. The reason I ask is I have the new passat, looking at the turbo, there is some kind of valve sitting there that looks exatly like the std bosch recerculating BOV found on the petrol engines? Am I loosing my mind. Please anyone who knows let me know! , and no, its not the wastegate. Its seperate from the turbo.

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

EGR?

and dumpvalves can be done on a tdi, plenty have... it is actually more pointless that putting one on a petrol engine when putting it on a diesel lol

3. badboi1 Forum Member

Yeah maybe, not sure thoughm

yeah I know the theory, thats why I was supprised to see what genuinly looks like a bov, std from the factory. I cant find any info on the engine intake system to explain it. I suppose thats becuase the 170 is new? Never the less I find it very intriguing. I would like to know what it is, and what it does! hehehehe

I have to say, that this motor has truely blown mind. The first diesel I have owned, I can't say Im sorry either. I am sure the 530d I roasted this moring is wondering what happend hahahahaha

4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

erm... where abouts is it placed? the EGR valve is placed just before the inletmanifold (on the 130pds anyway)

as for the 170... i know what you mean. as an example, 10 years ago, the mk3 16v was considered quite hot and had 150bhp... the clio 172 really moved the game on with a 172bhp 2.0

nowadays you can get a 170bhp 2.0 tdi and i can imagine they are enormous horses. VAG diesels seem to be pretty under rated.

have you got one yourself then?

before my golf i had a 2002 A4 'sport' 130pd which had a couple tweaks. i swear that was the best all round car i ever had. still miss it lol

5. badboi1 Forum Member

Yeah I just bought a black 170 sport pack. I am so loving it.I get incredible miliage, and she pulls like biaa*tch on heat. 394nm torque out of a four cylinder. Unreal, I used to have 2lt 16v turbo setup in polo. the usual setup, extended deck, longer rods, balanced. She reved to approx 8500rpm, I got 348kw on the wheels with gas. My new diesel actuly pulls just as good, no jokes guys. It really blows my mind.

6. Seraph Banned

:lol: Pull the other one!
    10 years ago the mk3 was on its way over the hill and far from king
    In 97, saxos, pumas and 206s were hot.

Anyway, it doesn't matter what or where this valve is - it is not a blow off valve. The most it will be is a recirc valve.

7. badboi1 Forum Member

Ok cool, I would still prefer vw to a pug! hehehe

Anyway, I figured some kind of recirc vale, but why and what fore? Unless its to do with emissions maybe? recirculating unburnt fuel when the car is cold? I am just guessing here. Wheres a VW techie when you need them hehehe. So you have the GT golf, so you have the same motor that I do! If its the new five.

8. Seraph Banned

^
    You don't need a vw techie, or even a techie to answer this - is a common piece of knowledge these days

The valve is put in-line to reduce turbo stall, so in lay terms, it improves throttle response. Why? Probably because it doesn't cost that much to vag.

If I were you, I'd leave the engine as is.

9. badboi1 Forum Member

whoaa, steady on. Read the first post, It was just a query? I have no plans to modify my passat. Its only six weeks old anyway. I was just curious because of the diferant lay out.
    My passat is my daily driver. I am planing to get hold of an R32, and then I will start playing. I am thinking turbo supercharger setup. I was mearly making a comparison between the pulling power of the passat and a 2 lt 16V I used to have. I have stated previously I am not a diesel mach, nor will I ever be. I bought the 170 becuase I loved the power/economy ratio it represents. If you have the GT mk5 you should be in agreement with that? As I have also said before, I am not a ricer, anything on my car is there for a reason. The reason I chose the sport pack, was for the susspesion. the SEL was to wallowy for me. I realise I may only be 30, but I do have some comon sense.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

you got a pic of the lay out? im curious to see what theyve done.

as for seraph, dont pay any attention to him unless its about MOTs lol he has a big habbit of commenting on stuff/cars that he has never done/owned/driven... which may explain why he is so snappy lol

luff ya really seraph

11. badboi1 Forum Member

Hey matt, cool.

I don't unfortuantly I will take one and post tomorow, its peeing it down here at the mo. So I am not going to stand in the rain! hehehe

PS no hard feelings sereph! :)

12. Seraph Banned

Yeah, because I was just thinking how strange it was you know EVERYTHING about me.

Without sounding like too much of a prat,...do bear in mind I had driven more golfs (mk1/mk2/mk3) before you even had a driving licence, than most people ever will! And that includes having to intimately know the engines workings too, like a doctor knows his patients!

As for snappy- not me- cool as a cucumber at all times[8D]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007