Brake fluid leaking while bleeding

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by DJUPLIFT, Jul 1, 2010.

1. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

Hey guys... hope you can shed some light. i think ive popped the servo while bleeding the brakes.

i have a gunson easybleed... had it all setup no leaks and pressurised using a tyre.

started off on rear drivers side opened the bleed valve and nothing came out. pumped the compensator incase it was blocked there no go... so i pumped the foot pedal 2 or 3 times not even to the floor and it started to pour through. managed to get the rear passenger side too and all was great untill i leveled the car back down and all of a sudden i could hear fluid dripping on the floor... so thought maybe the gunson bottle had tipped over or something.

found quite a bit of fluid on the floor dripping from a hole about 5pence piece on the chassis rail that runs along the car to the back.

took the gunson out and as i did some fluid ran down the side of the reservoir.

now ive had a look at the servo and from what i can see there is fluid around what looks like where the reservoir bolts onto it. but i cant say if thats from spillage or not.

Is it possible that ive blown a seal from pumping the brake pedal? its just strange as it only started to **** out after leveling the car up.

any help would be great!

2. muppet9966 Forum Member

With the Gunson Easybleed, you shouldn't need to pump the brake pedal, air from the tire forces the fluid through the system.
    I used the Easybleed on my mk2 Golf, and it was great (besides snapping the drivers bleed nipple).

Sorry I cant comment on whether a seal could be blown.
    I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post soon.

3. pipster Forum Member

sounds like master cylinder seals! When they're quite old they're easily damaged whilst bleeding!

4. DJUPLIFT Forum Member

Update:

Everything seems fine looks like it was the Gunson leaking as I did it again and no leaks
    Thanks everyone for the help