Brake Part Numbers

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Hodgy_mk2golf, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hodgy_mk2golf New Member

Im having a little bit of a problem as Ive managed to aquire two sets for what i thought were G60 calipers and carriers but it seems that both sets have two different part numbers on the calipers.

Could anyone please supply the Part numbers for both the G60 (280mm) calipers and the 288mm calipers found on the later mk3 GTi .
    Cheers Richard

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are several different numbers for the 280s, as long as they're pysically the same shape you'll be fine. main thing is are they both girling 54 and are they the same thickness (16v caliper looks almost the same but thinner)

cant mix up 288 and 280, they're very different. piccy here, 288 on the left, 280 on the right:
    [​IMG]

3. Hodgy_mk2golf New Member

cheers for the very quick reply, if i supply the part numbers would you know exactly what i have?

4. rubjonny

possibly if they're still in etka, sometimes they arnt. but fire away :)

as i say main thing is do they look like the caliper on the right above, and measure the thickness of the caliper where it goes over the pads. (g60 is thicker here to go over the thicker g60 discs and pads) also the carriers are spaced out more so the caliper will go over a bigger diameter disc

5. Hodgy_mk2golf New Member

good news is both sets look like the right calipers in the picture. I have been and got the part numbers, it seems that both calipers have the same part number and both are made by lucas :S however one set is very hard to make out.

Calipers: 32323571/5

but the carriers have different part numbers
    set one (taken from a '92 mk3 VR6 32323538/1)
    set two (taken from an unkown source 32323538/2)

does the difference in carrier numbers mean that one set is for an early mk3 with 280 discs and the other for the later 288 disc?

6. rubjonny

non of those are vw part numbers im afraid, but the caliper number seems to match up to Passat VR6 according to ebay which means it must be a 280mm one.

carriers as long as they look the same and have the slider pin fixings then they're both 256 or 280. the 288 carriers are completely different they're more like the old mk2 239mm carrier design as they use 2 sleeved pins round the back rather than the 2 rubber booted outer pins as on the 256/280.

if one of them is definitely from a mk3 vr6 and the other is the same size then they're both fine :)