Broken Mk2 door handle - Any way of sorting it?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by lostkat, Nov 11, 2008.

1. jshep73 Forum Member

For the record, my driver site door handle stopped working last week. I took the handle off and greesed up moving parts and now not only does it work but it is very smooth.
    I would allow 3 minutes for this job max! Flat head screwdriver to remove insert, cross head to remove 2 screws and some greese...

2. Texaroo New Member

Hi, have removed 4 screws from tailgate handle and inside trim, but can't remove the barrel assembly. If I push inwards on levers inside will it come out as looks as though barrel/button assembly is connected to rod for central locking. Fault is I cannot rotate key in tailgate to unlock manually. The original problem has returned also, the drivers door lock will not open with key, OK with alarm remote.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to get the lock button out yes you need to push the 2 clips in either side to release. with the central locking ones this job is made harder, you can try to pull the lock lever out of the button but they are usually well stuck or in extreme cases the end of the rod can snap off as I found out :(

so what I do is unscrew the central locking vacuum unit from the tailgate then release it from the rod (rotate 90degrees to unclip and it pops off) then pull the whole thing out together. It WILL come out, its just fiddly :lol:

4. Texaroo New Member

Thanks Johnny , just one other question, my tailgate lock is stuck in unlock horizontal position but when my central locking fails I am unable to open tailgate by pushing button. Is this normal, I take it is, as otherwise when locked with central locking you would be able to push tailgate button and get in. Just that manual says you can still get in hatch by using key but lock is already in unlock (horizontal) position. Sorry but difficult to explain.

5. rubjonny

yes this is normal. you have 3 positions on a CL boot, horizontal which is 'controlled by cl' vertical which is 'always open' and about 45 degrees to the right, which is 'always locked'

6. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

oh wow!!!

7. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

I hesitate to contradict RJ, but I thought the vertical was 'isolated from central locking', i.e. always locked, while the 45 degrees CW was 'open manually'

Edit - Thanks to staff for removing two spammy posts almost as soon as reported.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  8. rubjonny

yes sorry you are correct! just went out to confirm. when its 45 degree turned to the right wont open the boot if the central locking is set to 'open' either so you have to set it horizontal again, so correct again it should be referred to as 'open manually' rather than 'always open' :thumbup: