Broken Switch blade key

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Jetta, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Jetta Forum Junkie

I've modified a 2button MK4 switchblade key to take my MK2 Jetta key but the key ring bit at the top of the key has snapped off,

VW want over 40 for a new complete remote section (HLO 130 959 753 AG)does any one know where I can get a casing seperately (I only need the back piece (the bit with the ring loop)

2. pettsy Forum Member

why not try some places that break modern vw's? i would think some of the cars come in with the keys.

Matt

3. philipnslater New Member

Jetta

How easy was it to do?? Sounds like a great idea

4. daveybwoy Forum Member

5. Jetta Forum Junkie

That bloke went completely over the top with the power tools, I used a bench vice and various metalwork files to shape my key and file the roll pin channel into the key.

I had a couple of versions though the first one used a VW Huf AH Key original key (the one with the round black rubber, and metal VW cut out) though this wasnt long enough to start the car, without the steering collumn cowling removed.

I went and got my mk2 switchblade key copied at Mr Minit (I think), had argument about the transponder in the key (mk4's have transponders and there equipment picked up on this and they cant copy them apparently due to the encrypted coding used), whereas my MK2 91 Jetta dosent have one fitted.

Eventually the guy gave in and said if my car wont start dont blame him. The blanks thery carried have a longer metal section in the plastic handle so the finished key now cleared the lock barrel and started the car

I'd left the transponder in the switchblade key, but to remove this carefully prise off the VW badge, then undo the screw underneath, the key should come apart with gentle persuasion. Inside there is a small glass cylinder with a coil, this is the transponder, if your VW has one remove the mk4 one and fit your own.

I also removed the circuit board for the cdl remote as this was no use to me as there was no way to interface this to my Toad alarm.
    Edited by: Jetta