bt phone line..can i rewire it diy?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pigbladder, Apr 29, 2008.

1. pigbladder Forum Addict

im doing some decorating for my mother, the bt phone line and junction box is a bit untidy where it joins the line from outside to the one that runs to the phone and needs the wires all pulling out and redoing really to neaten it up

is this something i can do myself? or will it blow something the other end lol?

anything i need to know ? any tools required etc ? its about a 20 yr old instalation

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

If it's the 1st box in the house i am sure it belongs to BT though someone may say different.

I know the newer types have another master connection inside them also for line testing etc..(has a lower removeable section iirc?).

edit: regarding the test socket it is shown here under "If you’ve tried all these tests, but the problem still persists".

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/media/pdf/repair_guide.pdf

Reason i mention the test socket is because i read that if a BT guy calls to do any work they automaticaly replace the 1st box with one that has a test socket as this enables them to test the line without the house ring main connected.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  3. pigbladder Forum Addict

hmmmm all we have here is a match box sized white plastic box, looks like the main outside wire comes in and splits off from there?

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That's your primary box, I've just redone mine as well because it was hanging out everywhere - just note which wire colours go where and it's easy as pish.

5. pigbladder Forum Addict

will anything blow up if i touch wires or whatever ?

how are the wires held in ...its not overly obvious to me, also seems like some spares just dangling around is that right?

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Found this on the net:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071209114323AAtSyQG

Yep, you can open the master socket and re-terminate / remove the extension wiring and fix it back to the wall.

The extensions will be on the terminals marked 2,3 & 5.

The cable from outside belongs to BT and you must not tamper with this. DO NOT, buy another master socket and fit this instead of the BT master socket. This is illegal and if at some point in the future a BT engineer visits your home (at your request) and finds a non BT master socket you will be charged for the time it takes to remove this and fit a BT socket.

50 volts DC is on a BT landline, but don't worry there's no amps with it ( they're the bits that hurt ! ).
    4 months ago
    Source(s): BT engineer for 20 years

wiring:

http://www.wppltd.demon.co.uk/WPP/Wiring/UK_telephone/uk_telephone.html

your box is here:
    http://www.britishtelephones.com/wiring/socketwiring.htm

Quote: Sockets can only be installed on the new plug and socket system. If your phones are connected to a connector as shown in the picture below then you must contact your exchange service provider to have a Master socket installed. You may wire off the Master Socket.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  7. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I fitted a new main socket because I kicked the old one and broke it. There were 6 wires but only 2 are used

8. jamiehol Forum Member

Generally you get a 3 or 4 pair cable presented to your house, each line you have will use 2 of those pairs.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Mine was a 6-core, 3 connected to 3 terminals labelled A, E and B. The other 3 left disconnected. I think BT engineers are a bit more relaxed these days than when your 40-year BT man answered, after all, you didn't even be allowed to put in your own extensions, now BT sell extension socket kits!
    Take a main "new style" socket from your main box as well, if you ever have trouble with your broadband they will be full of questions about how far you are from the main connection.
    My house was 1971 I think, so the wiring may have changed. But basically it's no harder than wiring a light in. Red to black, black to red, and blue it to f*ck, and all that... except you won't hurt anything with 50vdc and zero current.

10. damogti Forum Junkie

There should be three wires used....

I didnt know about the situation with the master socket..... I redid all the phone sockets in my how when i refurblished the place and didnt put in a BT master socket [:|]

11. JAY

Jay Forum Member

in my current house i have the standard white box on the wall, but in my old house i had a box with 2 outlets, one was phone and the other was ADSL, guess it had a microfilter built into it as standard.

anyone know if i can do this and if so, where i can get the box from?

12. gorilly Forum Member

you can buy them in focus or maplin

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43835&doy=1m5&C=SO&U=strat15