Budget Coilovers

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Basically, i need a set of coilovers for the MK2. Its not a daily, and will spend most of the time in the garage, and only taken out for shows and weekend blasts.

Just wondering if anyone has purchased a set of budget coilvers and did they perform well. I know you get what you pay for, but the ones ive posted below look good, and plus the MK2 wont be used everyday.

FK's -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FK-AK-STREET-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3f02ca3fe0

They do look good quality compared to the Raceland + other unknown makes.

Any opinions on these :thumbup:

Cheers

2. nealey Forum Junkie

Pretty sure i.a.n.b had fk's on his originally, his is just a weekend toy and after about 3months of being fitted and not many miles they looked like they had been dragged out of a lake

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I think I had them when I first bought my current car, I found them very stiff and bounced the car alot down B roads.

They also rusted like hell - make sure you grease the threads and maybe wrap something around them too.

4. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

my hottuning ones just too hard to be useable with our terrible roads but after one year and 2000miles they where still mint, so mint they sold for 30quid less than what I paid for them.

After all your work on the car you might aswell enjoy it so id splash out and get some good suspension.

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

agreed, have hot tunning and stupidly hard at any ride height.

FK's fall to bits, spend a bit more mate will be worth it. After all a car is there to enjoy driving it

6. m1keh Forum Member

Bilstein shocks and a set of eibach springs arent that much more than budget coilovers and will feel a load better. Depends how scene you want the height to be though.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

personally id get a set of low gmax springs and dampers. youll be much happier

8. Richard Mk2

Thats true, the roads around near me are also quite shocking in some places... :thumbup:

9. Richard Mk2

Thats true mate, im definately going to need something which will last. :thumbup:

Are the FK's really that 5hite then?

10. Richard Mk2

Will more than likely go down this route then Matt :thumbup:

IIrc i could probably get a full G-max kit for the MK2 at the same price as the budgets.

Looking to buy the suspension nearer the end of the month so will keep you posted :thumbup:

11. Willber Forum Member

Get some decent suspension!! You said yourself that you get what you pay for so you might aswell buy something decent rather than ruin your car.

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

when were about again you should go out in my mk4, the ride is not far from OE and its pretty damn low

never had a bad experience with gmax tbh

13. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I have GMAX front suspension and half GMAX half 16v spec stock stuff on the back

GMAX is very good for ride and handling on a mk2 with a reasonable drop in height (nothing extreme)

I say the rear is a mix because after about 3 years the rear dampers both leaked (just outside warantee period)

14. turnipmuncher Forum Member

I have a set of ST Motorsport coilovers which are fine on smooth roads, but a bit too harsh on bumpy side roads - especially the rears!

15. Richard Mk2

Yea definately Matt. :thumbup:

Btw, are you going to that Westside VW show on Sept 26th? Its not too far from where i live, literally 10mins. Would be good to see the MK4.

I'll be going in mine and my brother will be bringing his MK3 GTI he's just bought.