Bumpers / Skirts - How To...

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Dietrich, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Dietrich Forum Member

I've got a few pictures of the kit I bought / spent today cleaning up: HERE

With all the mud off, there are a few little bits of damage which show through - am I right in thinking I can just use filler then sand it over before priming? There's one little split in the plastic bumper itself - anything I can do for that one? On one side (of the front bumper) the metal behind the plastic is bent back a bit. The bar which connects it to the car is fine, it's just the bit of metal behind the indicator. Does it come apart at all so I can bash it back into place without trashing the plastic? I will have a look for myself tomorrow in the daylight, it's just useful to ask first. ;)

As you can see, I kinda' bodged the side-skirts, just ripping a lot of the fittings off. They were all just stuck on with silicon and there wasn't much else I could do. So - reckon I'll manage to get them on (securely) as they are or is it worth buying a new set of rails for them, and if so where from, how much, etc.

The spoiler is off a GTi which obviously has the three holes in the back windscreen for it to fit onto. My Ryder doesn't have that, so I was thinking along the lines of silicon - if I glue it on, is it likely to just fly off when I go past 30mph (yes contrary to popular belief my 1.3 will do that :p)...

Painting the bumpers... I don't think I'll get away with leaving them black somehow, so they're gonna' need a spray. Sand / primer / spray. Any paint to look out for? Any to avoid?

Cheers,

Tom

Edited by: Ghost

2. jprocter Forum Member

Spend lots and lots of time on preping the bumpers. If u dont prep them properly the paint will fall off.

3. Dietrich Forum Member

Like everything else I've ever spraypainted then. :(
    What grade of sandpaper should I go for? Obviously I won't want big ol' lines (even though the paid will fill them to some extent).

Tom

4. jprocter Forum Member

Erm i think i used 400 then onto less harsch stuff, got mine sprayed at a local college (with full heated spray bay) so i let them do most of it but, i remember had to use plastic primer.

5. JEZ

Jez Forum Member

Ghost where abouts are ya? I've taken my gti rear spoiler off and left with the three holes (which are currently sealed with silicone).

Would you be interested in a swap of rear windows if not too far away?

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

*clears throat*
    my spoiler, 1st one was no more nailed on, untill i caught the hose at the jetwash just under the gap which pulled it off, i then re-no more nailsed it, it was then stolen, i shall be no more nailsing my new one on tomorow (if its sunny (like thats gonna happen!!))

also the studs in gti spoilers pull out easily enough with pliers/mole grips etc.

bumpers, ive done my back one so far and im half way thru prepping my front, there was a crack running the height of the bumper when i got it (see my bargain post) which i have now fibreglassed, then fillered over that
    with my back one i used just filler to smooth off the towing eye cover, that seems ok :thumbup: oh and im using ded ruff wet and dry, cant be arsed to go see what grade...

painting - the back one i used, big can of halfords plastic primer, small can of the same (ran out) 2 small tins of vw diamond silver, half a big tin of laquer came to around 20
    the back one was black, the front atm is red, and as much paint as i said above covered the black easily enough.

sideskirts, ive got some but they're wrong, they're 90 spec gti and therefore are farr too short, they're the big ones with fittings, my arches are driver style ones, which had a big sticker as a skirt instead... so if anyone want some skirts..... ;)

no rev counter.. did the car at the scrappy have one, and was it 1990 or later, get that, straight swap.

and are those them nasty pretend chequerplate matts from halfords?! :p

there we go

*breathes*

7. phatmk2 Forum Member

if your bumpers are already painted (not new)
    use 800 grit paper to key surface (wet)
    spirit wipe to remove grease and dirt
    primer bumpers using plastic primer
    use 800 grit paper again (wet)
    spirit wipe to remove grease and dirt
    laqer painted area
    leave for 24hours above 20C room temprature to dry
    polish using G10 handglaze

might be worth getting your whole kit colour coded.
    for that use 180 grit paper (dry) to get rid of the texture

when using wet and dry paper when keying a surface you will get a orange peel effect on the surface always use a flatting block and key surface until the orange peel effect has gone for a profesional job.

when flatting wet add some soap to water for lubrication when keying surface.

8. Dietrich Forum Member

Wicked, that is just what I was looking for.
    Looks like I'm gonna' be busy then.
    Hopefully because I pulled these skirts off a GTi they'll be alright.
    I'm in Norwich - if you're willing to do the work (no idea where to start) I'll swap (you even get the sticker... ;) If it's too much hassle I'll just glue it on.

Anyone got pics (I'll look too) of colour coded? Sure I've seen it on a MKII cab on here but never anywhere else...

Tom
    Edited by: Ghost

9. dingo New Member

I'm after some 90's spec side skirts for my golf gti 16v. Does anyone know where I can get some as mine are missing the little plastic sill covers.

10. phatmk2 Forum Member

i got some sills lying around with them little covers free if you can collect.

b'ham

11. dingo New Member

Would it be possible for you to post them to me as I live in North Wales. I know they are quite long! I'll pay for them and postage costs if they are in good nick. Cheers. No worries if you can't. Thanks for the offer.

12. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

ive got a pair you can have for the postage cost, now complete with a touch of silver overspray

and the tit's at the scrappy wrote 'AL' on the bit you can actually see when its on the car *slaps forehead*

(AL being albert looms, the scrappy)

well they'll only clog up my shed and ultimately be put in the bin...

13. md8v Forum Member

i may be interested in those 90 spec sill covers,

tell me what u got and what you want?!?!?

14. phatmk2 Forum Member

ill get some pictures of them tomorrow, i have three i may be able to post them.