Burning oil VR6

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by olly20vt, Aug 26, 2010.

1. olly20vt Forum Member

Hi all.
    My friend (who doesn't have the tinterweb) owners a 1995 corrado VR6 and has asked me if i could try and find out some common courses for this car to burn alot of oil?
    Some one has told him it is probably cylinder 1 because it can get starved of oil and then make the piston go slack. I didn't know how true this is but before he strips it all down
    are there any quick and easy things to try first.
    Cheers

2. olly20vt Forum Member

I will just add that this is the 2.9L engine

3. Lukey Forum Member

make sure he has the right oil, 10w40 semi syn. Some people reccomend 5w30 and its too thin really, oil consumption will rise a fair bit with 5w30 compared with 10w40 specially if its done a few miles.

cylinder 1 usually is the first to go slack, characterised by the "cylinder 1 rumble"

4. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Is it burning it consistantly, under power, on the over run etc?

5. olly20vt Forum Member

He says more so on over run, if he engine brakes down a hill and then its worse as he pulls away at the bottom. Or at high revs. He has has the head polished and ported a year ago Andrews assumes the seals were done at the same time. Could it be a blocked breather pipe?

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

I'm listening as my VR6 does this :lol: I always thought it was down to the seals, but would be interested to know if anyone else has some ideas. :)

7. Lukey Forum Member

blue smoke when flooring after engine braking or idling for a while would be most likely from stem seals

8. powernut Forum Member

if engines starts from cold and blows blue smoke out and seems to clear when engines up to temp usely stem seals/worn valve guilds (usely exhuast guilds)

if your de acelerating down a steep hill ,with no thottle and starts blue smoking bad then its pistons rings
    had this with my last engine ,knackerd oil rings
    also make sure oil leavel is correct , you.ll also find if oil is low u,ll find it wont smoke as bad... also how mutch crack pressure /or smoke from the rocker breather pipe/oil stick will also give u a good sign

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  9. olly20vt Forum Member

Thanks for all this info, i'll pass it on and let you know. if anyone else has more to add feel free