Buy an Audi?

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by AndyCEB, Nov 23, 2005.

1. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Tempted to buy an Audi 80 16v sport

[​IMG]

To drive round in until my golf is finished, what you think?[:[]

Anyone know what to look for and what they are like to live with? I have seen a nice looking black one advertised local to home so hopefully go have a look at it this week?

2. stew72 Forum Member

how much?

3. superden Forum Addict

Cracking cars, you can pick them up for next to nothing now :) :thumbup:

4. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

Well not sure yet but maybe upto about 450 tops?

Tidy example with Metallic paint, front electric windows, remote central locking/alarm/immobliser etc

What you think?

Stew how easy is the engine transplant into my golf? Are all the mounts etc the same as the mk3 16v?

Edited by: AndyCEB

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

Nice enough cars to drive, bit nose heavy i guess, but not dead rapid, even the later 6a 2.0 16v one doesnt go that well, wish we still had it now. AS with the 6a you will need to swap the oil filter bracket, sump, mounts, maybe flywheel and some other odds and ends if you want to put it in a golf.

6. stew72 Forum Member

Like unknown said.

Basically I've gone and got a mk2 KR lump, I'll fit it using the scirocco mounts (same as mk1 GTI), sort out the exhaust and the fueling/induction. Then I'll take it out and do the 6A conversion like it would be for a mk2, changing mounts, swapping flywheels, turning the heat exchanger through 90 degrees etc.
    I'm putting the KR cams in the 6A too.

It sounds so easy.....

7. Seraph Banned

sure you wouldnt prefer an s3!? ;)

:o
    [:$]

8. AndyCEB Forum Junkie

50 and a half eaten packet of chewing gum? [:D]

9. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

go for it!

tim

10. Seraph Banned

thats outrageous!!!!!!....................................... :o

only a 1/2 packet of gum!

11. Jetta Forum Junkie

I often see them in breakers yards round here, the one I took the guages seats and steering wheel out of for my golf looked like there was nout wrong with it

12. stew72 Forum Member

Mine used to cut out occasionally when it warmed up, could have been anything from a blocked fuel line to faulty ecu. Last owner had spent hundreds trying to fix it inc 180 on a new dizzy and gave up. Car was mint when it was taken off the road. A couple of years later it wasn't so mint and the owner was happy to take a hunderd notes for it and deliver it to chez stew.
    I suspect many more will end up in the scrappy.

BTW, how much did the scrappy charge you for your steering wheel?

13. Peter Forum Member

I think they ace [:$] nice and compact for a 4 door saloon there a really clean shape, look great on the split Speedlines as well:thumbup: If your going 2.0 the earlier 6A does not need a different oil filter housing, as mentioned you just need to to rotate the cooler, the FAQ in the engine section is a great guide, the later ACE (did they fit this in the 80 or was it A4 by then?) is the same as the 6A however the oil filter bracket is angled and wont fit in the MKII Golf swapping it with a 9A filter bracket cures this though

pete

14. Unknown Forum Junkie

Mine had an ACE (one of the last of the 80 B4 estates) which I thought was a 6A when I acquired it, I guess this is where I got confused about the oilfilter stuff. I stand corrected! :p
    Edited by: Unknown

15. stew72 Forum Member

disappointingly, the speedlines aren't split :(

16. Peter Forum Member

It caught me out too [8(] I thought mine was a 6A when I got it, the big ACE on the cambelt cover should have given it away! :lol: took me ages to source a suitable filter bracket!

pete

17. Peter Forum Member

"Faux" Splits :lol:

pete

18. Jetta Forum Junkie

I paid 40 for the front and rear seats and 10 for the steering wheel, pocketed the rear chrome window winders as I alread had a pair the same of an older coupe and I already had a boss with a crappy halfords 3 spoke steering wheel so on the way home while my mam was in tescos I fitted the audi one which is so much nicer, not bad considering I've seen the steering wheel go for 50+ on ebay.

I got the VDO guages, wiring and pressure sender for 15, I bought those to replace my older style Audi coupe VDOs, the anoying thing was I'd just bought a new VDO pressure sender from VW [:x] as I broke mine.

Anoying thing was a couple of weeks later I found a later half leather set for 50 [:^(]
    Edited by: GTD.